Maximum flying time for 1 month?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

I was trying to read the regs, but a butterfly went by and I got distracted!
How much time can you legally fly in one month? I fly freight 5 nights a week(most of the time) and I'm also obligated to flight instruct a few hours a week. Ones part 135 and the others part 91. Do the total times from each job count against one another? I'm probably missing something simple.

Thanks

(Freight is around 26 hours a week)

Last edited:
Part 135 is 120 hours in a calender month. Scheduled operations

Flight instructing does count as part of the 120 hours.

However you are limited to 1200 hours in a calender year, so you cannot do 120 every month and be legal for the whole year.

Ref Part 135.265

Your 135 SOP's may have additional limits imposed as well.

Unscheduled ops use the 500 hours per quarter rule (Part 135.267)

135.261/263/265/267 rules

Congratulations ... you, my friend, have asked a BIG question ... I'll love to hear the postings.

This is gonna confuse you, a lot of other folks and maybe get trashed.

But for now here's a couple of things ...

1) If the flight school you work for is the holder of the FAR 135 Air Carrier Certificate (certificate holder) then anything you do for them is not rest.

2) Any time the certificate holder makes an assignment for flight time under 14CFR135, the Flight Time Limits and Rest Requirements of the part must be maintained.

3) If you're being duped by a abustive employer, I'd be glad to help.

TransMach

One question that came up when I was doing the same thing you are: Is flight instruction considered commercial flight time that counts towards your 500/quarter, etc? Technically, you are being paid to teach, not fly. I look forward to the responses.

Art V.

Art Vandalay said:
One question that came up when I was doing the same thing you are: Is flight instruction considered commercial flight time that counts towards your 500/quarter, etc? Technically, you are being paid to teach, not fly. I look forward to the responses.

Art V.

I have seen that one too. Who is PIC would have a bearing on the answer. For our purposes, everywhere I have worked considered CFI time as counting against your yearly totals.

What your POI says about it counting is the only one that really matters, and that answer is probably a diverse as the number of POI's out there!

It is indeed. The duty limits refer to "commercial flying" or "flying for hire" both of which you are doing when you instruct. You couldn't do so without a commercial certificate. Many times the pilots at my company debate this issue on "dead heads" after a 135 leg. Company says it is not duty time but we are indeed being compensated to reposition the aircraft. I'm sure other 135 drivers have been in this same debate.

Thanks for all the timely responses,

The same guy owns the flight school and the charter operation, but I believe the charter is under a different ticket. All this flying plus the commute is burning me out. I think I'm going to quit teaching for now.

???? One more. I've had the rest period explained to me by a few different charter guys and all gave me different answers! Didn't really talk to much about it in my check out:( I fly lab tests samples every night around the same time or when ever the delivery truck arrives. Is this considered scheduled or on demand? I apologize if these are dumb questions to the seasoned vets.

TransMach said:
Congratulations ... you, my friend, have asked a BIG question ... I'll love to hear the postings.

This is gonna confuse you, a lot of other folks and maybe get trashed.

But for now here's a couple of things ...

1) If the flight school you work for is the holder of the FAR 135 Air Carrier Certificate (certificate holder) then anything you do for them is not rest.

2) Any time the certificate holder makes an assignment for flight time under 14CFR135, the Flight Time Limits and Rest Requirements of the part must be maintained.

3) If you're being duped by a abustive employer, I'd be glad to help.

TransMach

???? One more. I've had the rest period explained to me by a few different charter guys and all gave me different answers! Didn't really talk to much about it in my check out:( I fly lab tests samples every night around the same time or when ever the delivery truck arrives. Is this considered scheduled or on demand? I apologize if these are dumb questions to the seasoned vets.

Look at your company provided Operations Specifications - Part A. In it you'll find the reference to 'flight time limitations and rest requirements' - in mine its page A036.

If you don't have a copy of the regs at hand, you can google FAR 135.

Sounds like you are scheduled, therefore 135.265 [ref:Ops Specs] otherwise 135.267

If you are scheduled and operating single-pilot then you are limited to:

1,200 hours in any calendar year.
120 hours in any calendar month.
34 hours in any 7 consecutive days.
8 hours during any 24 consecutive hours for a flight crew
consisting of one pilot

No certificate holder may schedule a flight crewmember, and no flight
crewmember may accept an assignment, for flight time during the 24
consecutive hours preceding the scheduled completion of any flight
segment without a scheduled rest period during that 24 hours of at least
the following:

9 consecutive hours of rest for less than 8 hours of scheduled flight time.

9 consecutive hours rest may be scheduled for or reduced to a minimum of 8 hours if you are given a rest period of at least 10 hours that must begin no later than 24 hours after the commencement of the reduced rest period.

Each certificate holder shall relieve each flight crewmember
engaged in scheduled air transportation from all further duty for at
least 24 consecutive hours during any 7 consecutive days.

If you are going to juggle flight instruction and the charter flying, I would strongly suggest you take it upon yourself to thoroughly understand the rest and duty regs. Your boss isn't necessarily going to look out for you on this one, given the two sides of his/her business.

? Are the lab test samples carried, going to or from the lab??? See where I'm going with this one???

Last edited:
By my limited understanding of scheduled vs. unscheduled you're not necessarily scheduled. If the customer is dictating the schedule to you, and the customer would be the driving force in having the pickup times and frequency changed, then you're flying on-demand. It just so happens that the customer is demanding that you meet a regular schedule which he sets. If your company creates a schedule ahead of time and then advertises it to potential customers saying "we want to fly from A-B at 2300 monday-thursday, is there anything that you want to send with us at that time?" then that would make you a scheduled carrier.

As an unscheduled operator, you're limited to 500 per quarter and 800 in consecutive quarters. The only limitation in a month would be how many hours you can fit in while meeting all the required rest periods.

I'm relatively new to the 135 world as well, so if any of this information is inaccurate, I'll really appreciate an old hand clearing it up for me.

Latest resources

Back