• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Master's Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure you know by now that the academic types live in another world. Number of degrees and books or papers published equates to accomplishment in their minds. I just don't put a lot of value in most of the pHd's at the Universities not actively teaching and writing all the time. It is a bubble about to burst at some point with the cost of education and what they are paid.

I would think you have some leverage in this deal to get them to pay for it or some of the costs anyway.

Of course the graduate degree won't mean a lot in the aviation world depending on what you are doing. Staying at your deal long term, sure, but airline wise or outside of the academic world, it will help but not make a huge difference. Maybe it would push you over the edge at the mainline interview but you'll still get the interview without it with your experience. So on one hand you could go the quickest route to get it done, or an MBA which would have more value.

I think the Master of Education has not a lot of value outside of where you are now. The MBA is a good backup and has value in my opinion.

The classes are a pain and yes boring, but you would have no problem.

I have a Master of Education. The hardest part was working a full time job while doing it, but it was over pretty quick.

I'm sure you know by now that the academic types live in another world. Number of degrees and books or papers published equates to accomplishment in their minds. I just don't put a lot of value in most of the pHd's at the Universities not actively teaching and writing all the time. It is a bubble about to burst at some point with the cost of education and what they are paid.

Yeah... we are just building complex models to accurately forecast long term weather, building 3-d images of protein structures using cryo electron microscopes that will be used to build better heart medications and of course as a total waste of time, we allow physicists to use our facilities to build models of the early universe using data from the LHC.

Of course these guys just went to school and studied topics like phylogenetics or physics for 10 extra years because there is a 'bubble' in education.

None of what they are doing is as hard as taking off in a jet, raising the gear, updating the FMS or changing radio frequencies. That's complicated stuff.

I also know the write papers to make themselves feel good.

You sir are an AWESOME member of society and I can't wait to see what great innovations come from you that will make the world a better place.

/sarcasm

Check out American Public University, National and Regionally accredited.
Lots of Masters programs, $12k.

Delta State down in mississippi have aviation master programs online and is a whole lot cheaper then ERAU.

OK, so the OP is running a program at a small college. The college, no doubt, sells the story that a person needs academic credentials to be competitive. Yet, he then eschews the merits of having academic credentials normal for that level instruction.

Frankly, I'm surprised that they would hire someone with "only" a bachelors - no matter what your experience.

The situation at my college is sort of unique, for reasons I won't elaborate on. I found out after I was hired that I was the highest qualified person they interviewed, but the other two they looked at had flying jobs and when given an offer they turned it down. I was facing a furlough, so I took the gig.
The only mention of a Masters degree during my interview was the question of whether I would ever consider getting one. My answer was that I would if I thought it would be beneficial to what I was trying to accomplish. They made no mention about it being part of their accreditation, and I, being ignorant of what goes on behind the scenes at a college, had no idea it would be so important. Once my year one review came with the "action plan" for year two, I was advised "Hey, why don't you start looking at options for your Masters?". As soon as I signed my name on the action plan, it became part of my job requirement. So here I am.
That program at Southern Miss is actually more expensive than ERAU. I can get my MBA in Leadership with my employer for 50% off tuition, but that will still cost me almost 10k. The American Public Univ. option might be my best bet: somewhere in the 12-13k ballpark, and I can get a little more than half that reimbursed by my employer.
It might all be a moot point. Flying is starting to pick up locally and I may be able to get back into the cockpit sooner than later.
Thanks again for all the opinions. The wonder of the internet!!

Do you get tuition remission at other colleges/universities? It's been about 8 years but my MAS at ERAU (extended campus) was about $10K (without remission).

If you have an ATP and 4 type ratings, plus a BA/BS, you can do the job just fine. That's the problem, the aviation programs in this country are all out of touch with the real world of aviation. Yes, I know a college program that passed over a guy like you to hire a local high school gym teacher who had just retired with an MS and had his newly obtained CFI. Unfortunately, this is why the graduates of the college aviation programs I have come in contact with no so little. Yes, they know the rote level as they have learned from their "professors" but these graduates have no application level knowledge of such subjects a pressurization, coffin corner, etc.

So I guess you'll have to do it their way and jump through the hoops they put up. Also, I think the Education Masters is the easiest because their is no big paper to write.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back