• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mary Schiavo is an idiot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe that was Comair on a carribean flight when they encountered severe icing. The aircraft departed normal flight and lost a considerable amount of altitude. I've been in severe icing once in the E120. We had ice out to the prop tips, well aft of the boots and pretty much covering the side windows. It was my leg and I was hand flying. The aircraft was quite sluggish but positive control was maintained by increasing power and airspeed. It is my understanding that the Comair crew had the autopilot on. The E120 can no longer have the autopilot on in icing conditions. Lakes had a similiar near fatal incident related to having the autopilot on in icing conditions. This didn't make the evening news due to the First Officer taking the controls after the aircraft fully stalled and the autopilot kicked off. Pretty amazing considering they were inside the marker. The 1900 on the other hand is incredible. We had one crew at Lakes that couldn't get out of the 1900 because the forward door was covered in ice! Now that's what I call a load of ice. The "Iceman" cometh...

In reference to the ATR incidence that took place last summer, I believed it was TSA flight out of Peoria in Illinois, The uncommanded role was due to autopilot mulfunction, not because of icing. I might be wrong! Maybe a TSA driver can shed some light.

Happy new year!!

jetdriven said:
are you sure the EMB-120 and ATR icing problems have been fixed? I read about an EMB-120 upset in florida and an ATR upset in STL in just the pasy year. The EMB stalled and rolled and lost 10,000 feet, the ATR had an uncommanded roll on the ils. Any comments?? I have not flown either one. On the Be1900 we dont have these problems.

I have to agree with AWACoff. The E120 can hold a ton of ice if you fly it right. One morning I flew one in with so much ice that the first 4 rows of pax windows were covered (we had unforecast severe icing on the approach). The ice ran back 2 feet behind the protected areas on the wings. If you keep the speed and power up, it's actually very controllable. If you don't keep on top of it, and get out of the profile or get slow, it will bite you in the butt. The E120 is a very unforgiving airplane to those who don't fly it the way it was meant to be flown... fast!

As for the Comair incident, the final reports are long from being released, but the pilots testified that they encountered severe icing in the tops of a convective cell at FL180 enroute from Nassau to Orlando. They stated that "before they could even react" the autopilot had trimmed full nose up and the airspeed had bled to 130kt. The airplane then stalled and spun. They recovered around 10,000 feet and pulled abour 4Gs. They were very lucky... the tail of that airplane looked like a V-tail Bonanza aftere they were done with it.
The new mod gives us back the autopilot in icing conditions. We affectionatly call it the "Comair Box". It alerts us if we gat below 160kt in icing conditions.

Thanks Ifly4food, I wasn't aware of the new modification. I handflew the E120 almost all the time anyways. Good stable ship. See Yooooooo!

One of the ramifications from the Comair incident has been the installation of "low-speed alarms" to alert the flight crew, should they be asleep or spacing off, of a dangerously low airspeed. If I'm not mistaken they are to be installed on all EMB-120's.

Aircraft equipped with this low-speed alarm are allowed to use the autopilot in icing conditions.

We are drifting off the subject here fellas. I think Scary Mary just needs to get laid. Then maybe she will lighten up!!

She also said, DO NOT board any Russian built aircraft!! I'll remember that on my next trip to Iowa.

Fly Safe!

I also heard her advocating the banning of alcohol on all flights. It sounds stupid to me as a beer after a hard week at work hits the spot perfectly. And how else are you going to sleep on those trans-contintental flights?

Mary Schiavo

I could'nt agree more!! Her matronizing voice makes fingers down a chalkboard a pleasant experience. Did'nt she get booted from the FAA for basically being incompetent(ironic.....I know)?

Re: Mary Schiavo

skydash said:
I could'nt agree more!! Her matronizing voice makes fingers down a chalkboard a pleasant experience. Did'nt she get booted from the FAA for basically being incompetent(ironic.....I know)?

:D I think it was the DOT actually! She held Norman Mineta's job as I recall.

Latest resources

Back