• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Marine Aviation Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get past the YAY NAVY statement, and look at the facts, right now isn't how it was 10 years ago.

Yup you're right... and anything going on now has ANY bearing with how things will be next year, better yet, next month.

Blanket statements like that are one of the many sources of bad gouge.

Last edited:
V-22 control inceptors

V22 is considered as “Tilt Rotor”

I imagine that they should be able to count V22 in total time, but not sure on fixed-wing. It’s probably more on the helo side, considering you’re operating an aircraft with a cyclic and collective

Not that it really matters, but the V-22 has a throttle and stick/cyclic. The throttle is not at all like a collective, it slides in a fore/aft track and works just like a throttle. The stick changes between forward flight "stick", blended mode, and hover "cyclic" depending on airspeed and nacelle position.

Cheers,
Jason

What is career progression like for a Marine Hornet Driver? I know the Navy spends a lot of time out of the cockpit.

As the Aviation World Turns Update

Second class Mid took advantage of Opinfo and was home for a week over Thanksgiving which was real cool. He got to fly with his brother and is now the owner on a Log Book and Dave Clark headset. Initial flight apparently went well with smiles all around. It was a beautiful day to fly, I stayed away. All I could do was make someone nervous. Over a Wild Turkey my Mid indicated that Aviation may be the choice.:)

Now, another question if you don't mind, which I plan to post in Airwarriors as well. Knowing what you know now, what might have you done differently? My brother-in-law, who is a retired Marine A-6 pilot, is kind of standing around waiting for the right opportunity to take advantage of 'you need to know this' kind of stuff but admits that it may be dated.

Any advise that you might want to pass on? FYI, by this time next year he will know what he will get choice wise. An earlier post stated to make sure it says jet. He will know slection week.

Thank you for all the great information,

AvDad

Proud father of a Regional Captain and USNA Mid

Second class Mid took advantage of Opinfo and was home for a week over Thanksgiving which was real cool. He got to fly with his brother and is now the owner on a Log Book and Dave Clark headset. Initial flight apparently went well with smiles all around. It was a beautiful day to fly, I stayed away. All I could do was make someone nervous. Over a Wild Turkey my Mid indicated that Aviation may be the choice.:)

Now, another question if you don't mind, which I plan to post in Airwarriors as well. Knowing what you know now, what might have you done differently? My brother-in-law, who is a retired Marine A-6 pilot, is kind of standing around waiting for the right opportunity to take advantage of 'you need to know this' kind of stuff but admits that it may be dated.

Any advise that you might want to pass on? FYI, by this time next year he will know what he will get choice wise. An earlier post stated to make sure it says jet. He will know slection week.

Thank you for all the great information,

AvDad

Proud father of a Regional Captain and USNA Mid

Not have bet the Giants to cover this past weekend against the Titans... and oh yeah, worn a condom that one time.

As far as aviation... wouldn't have done a thing differently. Chose P-3's 11 years ago and have not regretted it. Moved out of naval aviation since then, but it's all worked out fine.

Marine Aviation =
F-18
AV8B harrier
T-34 for instruction
T2 Texan for instruction
T44 twin for instruction
C-130 Legacy as well as New J model
V-22 Osprey (helo transitions to Fixed wing)

What did I miss?

My future airframe-Prowlers. The T-6 is the Texan II, right now used mainly for training NFOs but also used at Vance AFB to train pilots. Like Zippy said, the T-45 is replacing the T-2 for pilots, but NFOs still train in the T-2.

trolleydriver said:
At least that's how it was in TBS fifteen years ago, I have no idea if that's they way it works now. The theory was that you wouldn't have all your top performers in combat arms and aviation, and all the bottom feeders in combat service support.

It's still done in thirds with the quality spread in place, but not necessarily thirds of thirds. But now it's even more about what your SPC thinks you should get. There's some serious horsetrading done to get people put into the right jobs. I watched somebody go from his 21st to his 3rd choice because the SPC thought he would make a good infantry officer.

pysicx said:
What is career progression like for a Marine Hornet Driver? I know the Navy spends a lot of time out of the cockpit.

Obviously flight school and FRS/FRS Refresher are flying. FAC, EWS, C&S, and Joint are non-flying billets.
http://www.usna.edu/Users/history/scallaha/USMC Officer Career Progression.htm

My future airframe-Prowlers. The T-6 is the Texan II, right now used mainly for training NFOs but also used at Vance AFB to train pilots. Like Zippy said, the T-45 is replacing the T-2 for pilots, but NFOs still train in the T-2.

Are the Marine's gonna eventually replace the Prowler with the EA-18G Growler like the Navy? That thing is not far from being operationally deployed from what I've read.

We'll be sticking with the Prowler least until I retire. There is not one mention of the E/A-18 in AVPLAN 2005.

Not saying it won't happen, but I'll be long gone by the time it does.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back