• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Many Midwest flights aren't Midwest at all

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last time I checked, a JD was not a prerequisite for an airline pilot. The legal nuances in such contracts take somebody with experience, not just the ability to read. It's like putting a 40 private pilot in the left seat of an airliner. Yes, that pilot can fly, but the airliner is a different type of flying and requires more skill.

SO, this is why pilot groups retain people who are experts (or suppose to be experts) in this field to work with them in contract negotiations.

there is no way that what midwest management is attempting to do is the result of a "legal nuance". try again.

to recap...it is the fault of republic pilots, ALPA, and ALPA lawyers. gotcha.

Last edited:
i would hope that your mec is keeping a vigilant eye on what routes you're flying and are scheduled to fly so that differentiating won't be an issue.

why don't you have scope language in your contract to prevent all of this garbage? i guess that's the fault of pilots at republic as well.

Hey flylike44,

Enjoy the POS "union" bosses who know everything at the Teamsters. Our "know-it-all" who sold us the our "scope" is now one of your head honchos at Teamster's Airline Division.

And as you are aware of, our scope clause (on our FIRST contract) was a standard boilerplate ALPA scope clause from when it was written. We thought we had protection, an arbitrator said differently. ANY LAWYER CAN CHEW THROUGH AN AIRLINE CONTRACT.

Glad to see you're defensive though, that implies some guilty feelings taking someone elses job for 30-40% of the pay and bennies.

so you're telling me that every single person on the list at midwest read the scope provisions contained in their contract, and to a man they all agreed it was airtight? sorry. not buying it.

This is the whole SELLING point of a NATIONAL union. To have a CADRE of EXPERTS at your disposal when negotiating these things. We're pilots, not lawyers. You bet a lot of us trusted our MEC and ALPA National when the FIRST contract was signed at Midwest, which contained the scope language.

But then again, why should you understand. After all your airline is built to VIOLATE scope agreements with the three certificates and multiple fleet types to circumvent DAL and AA. Blue chickens to the coop, I guess.

there is no way that what midwest management is attempting to do is the result of a "legal nuance". try again.

to recap...it is the fault of republic pilots, ALPA, and ALPA lawyers. gotcha.

You have NO CLUE what Midwest management is doing, because THEY DON'T EITHER. They've clearly demonstrated being reactive and not proactive.

Republic was the B plan, plain and simple. Seabury advised us to play hardball with Boeing and they yanked the 717's right away from them. Your simple removal of Frontier aircraft created the opportunity.

Fact:
IT IS THE MIDWEST PILOTS CONTINUAL DISREGARD FOR YOUR CRAPPY PAYRATES AND WORKRULES BEING SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS WHY YOU ARE FLYING THAT 190. WE WILL NOT SELL OURSELVES OUT SIMPLY TO FLY AN AIRPLANE, UNLIKE YOU WHO WILL GLADLY DO SO.

Our 60 seat DC-9 rates blow yours away. How will your contract negotiated 70 seat rates compare to those or the 88 seat rates we had (hint same as 60 seat rates). You think you'll even approach the new JetBlue rates? Get real.

You have NO CLUE what Midwest management is doing, because THEY DON'T EITHER. They've clearly demonstrated being reactive and not proactive.

Republic was the B plan, plain and simple. Seabury advised us to play hardball with Boeing and they yanked the 717's right away from them. Your simple removal of Frontier aircraft created the opportunity.

Fact:
IT IS THE MIDWEST PILOTS CONTINUAL DISREGARD FOR YOUR CRAPPY PAYRATES AND WORKRULES BEING SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS WHY YOU ARE FLYING THAT 190. WE WILL NOT SELL OURSELVES OUT SIMPLY TO FLY AN AIRPLANE, UNLIKE YOU WHO WILL GLADLY DO SO.

Our 60 seat DC-9 rates blow yours away. How will your contract negotiated 70 seat rates compare to those or the 88 seat rates we had (hint same as 60 seat rates). You think you'll even approach the new JetBlue rates? Get real.

You seem to have it all figured out, I'll tell you what, you're hired! You can slide on over to our Local and do it pro-bono. Your payment will be when your job get's reinstated. Sound good?

Hey flylike44,

Enjoy the POS "union" bosses who know everything at the Teamsters. Our "know-it-all" who sold us the our "scope" is now one of your head honchos at Teamster's Airline Division.

And as you are aware of, our scope clause (on our FIRST contract) was a standard boilerplate ALPA scope clause from when it was written. We thought we had protection, an arbitrator said differently. ANY LAWYER CAN CHEW THROUGH AN AIRLINE CONTRACT.

Glad to see you're defensive though, that implies some guilty feelings taking someone elses job for 30-40% of the pay and bennies.

i still haven't seen or heard one suggestion as to what you want us to do. according to you our union is a joke (and on that point we agree), so looking to them for guidance isn't going to get results. you must have a plan all laid out for what we should do here, so let's hear it.

An ERJ-190 cannot.

There's no such thing as an ERJ-190. It's an EMB-190.

my pilot group (aa) did this very thing in 1998 and, while the union got slapped with a fine, they got what they wanted.

You also got some of the worst anti-labor case law in the history of the RLA that has hindered airline labor ever since and led to judgments like the recent UAL injunction.

ALPA lawyers were the proverbial "pros from Dover" who didn't get the language right. The devil was in the details, and it looks like Midwest's lawyers have parchments from Ivy League schools while ALPA's lawyers have business law completion certificates from some obscure northern VA VOTEC.

ALPA lawyers got the language that the MEA MEC wanted. The lawyers are the foot-soldiers, not the generals. They don't get to make the decisions, they only get to do the work to accomplish the objectives that the MEC sets. When an MEC doesn't make scope a top priority, it's not the lawyer's fault.

If the Republic pilots' union had any balls at all, they would stage some kind of work action against this.

im betting your avg repub pilot doesn't want 190's. Who the hell would, unless you were a spineless lifer or a fella that knows nothing about airline economics.

BTW, do you know anything about union actions, cuz ya can't just take "work action" just for the hell of it.

There's no such thing as an ERJ-190. It's an EMB-190.

Actually it is an ERJ 190. It is my understanding the airlines and Boeing lobbied the FAA to make sure that the Ejet family of Aircraft had the RJ in its type cert. Managment wanted to tie in as an RJ and Boeing did not want to have to compete with another aircraft for the 717 back in day. So the EMB in the 145 family became a ERJ in the Ejet family. That is just what I have been told.

Interesting. Everything on the Embraer website says either "Embraer 170" or "EMB-170."

Latest resources

Back