• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Man! What are friends for anyway?!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I need to address the to a moderator or a Webmaster, its somewhat odd so please bear with me while I try to explain.

First, I am not Toilet Porpose! My roommate/friend registered that name. He doesn’t have a computer, so the both of us being starving pilots and me trying to be a good friend, I let him use mine to e-mail his resume out, check the job boards etc…

I set up an extra Identity (e-mail) addy for him to access via my ISP dialup account until he could afford a computer of his own, a fair trade off seeing how he as donated his stereo system, TV and DVD player to our little cracker box apartment.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I had to go back home (my parents house) and didn’t think much of it when I left. But when I return I find that he has ran up the phone bill, bought about $40.00 worth of pay-per-view crap and registered BOTH e-mail addresses he at this forum and half a dozen others to boot, which I showed him by the way just before I left, telling him that I wanted to register here when I come back. His response was “hey cool, I’m going to check the site out while your gone.” Okay, cause nothing like this has ever happened before.

Well now I’m back and I see where he has gone nuts and the only explanation he has is man I just went a little nuts I’m sorry.

This in itself in not a big thing, I can live with the account under the name “toilet porpoise” uhggggggg…

But pile this onto everything that has happened to me in the last few months and I’m ready to pop!

Someone stole my flight bag three months ago with all my stuff in it, lap board, hand held radio, a garmin GPS my father gave me, and my logbook. Everything!

I’ve spent the last two months trying to rebuild my logbook. Letter from the FAA, copy of my 8710 for my ATP ride and as many photo copies of the master charter log from my current dig as I could find.

Well, after piling it all together I can only show 100% proof of around 1700 hrs. I had close to 1950 when my log was taken.

The FSDO told me if I couldn’t show it in the form of company training records, proof of flight time through master logs or by some other form of acceptable evidence then I can’t claim it, so they say they are sorry…

I’ve just about had it! These last 9 months have been hell.
Working two jobs, trying to build enough time to find a decent job is bad enough, but all this is just morally wrecking.

Then, not to mention today while trying to shoot the NDB approach into Bessemer AL, some butt wad in a Westwind come roaring out of nowhere cutting me off, making a bee-line for 5 only to go missed at the threshold without saying one darn thing on CTAF!

Called back to Birmingham and was very snippy with them, but they said they honestly didn’t see the guy he was VFR from the west, they would try a run him down for me… Yea right…

It’s been a bad day/week/month/year. I just hope the hiring picks up at the airlines and fractionals so it can clean out the next level of jobs (just above me) I need to jump into, maybe a light entry level small corporate operator of carter outfit flying a citation or lear, so I can really start to build some serious time and finally land me some real jet time.

Flying these 400 year old Navajos and an occasional minute or to here and their of PC-12 time is getting old.

Just ranting

James
Not Toilet Porpose

PS my idiot roommate was trying to spell Toilet Porpoise, not Toilet Porpose. Geeesh!
Whadda moron!

How do I change all those blooming ratings he has put into the corner of the message?

I don't have anywhere near that, and he sure as heck don't either!

Jeez.......

With friends like that who needs enemies.

For what it's worth, maybe you can send in a NASA report on the Westwind.

Best of luck to you.

And I thought I had problems with roomates.

TP,

If I tell you about my last few months, you'll feel better (like standing next to someone ugly, at the prom), but I won't. Rest assured that there's a lot to be said about the addage concerning the guy with no shoes.

Disregard the info given you by the FSDO. You can put a statement in your logbook attesting to the facts, and include all your total time. You haven't lost a thing. Certainly, absolutely you can do this, without regard to the advice of your FSDO (which is not binding, and does not represent the view of the FAA or the Administrator). For good measure, obtaining a notary seal wouldn't hurt, but it's not required. You're not the first to lose your logbooks to theft, fire, earthquake, or a rogue bengal tiger in a seedy back room of a two bit shack in Bankok. Lots of other folks have had to reconstruct a log, and you're putting in a lot more work than most.

Keep your hours, make a notation as to what happened, and keep your verification in a separate file in case anyone ever asks. You needn't produce it ever time; only if someone wants to see the verification. This is a big part of the reason that sim checks are used, or line checks; no matter how much experience an applicant says they have, the proof is in the putting, and the sim is where the rubber meets the virtual runway.

The navajo isn't 400 years old, and there's nothing wrong with a Navajo. I've flown much older, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Look at it this way, there are a lot of folks out of work who would love to do what you're doing, just to stay in the air. Job changes will come, as will room mate changes (think of it as preparation for marriage). For now, take heart in the fact that you're flying an airplane and getting paid for it; something many others can only dream about now, or their whole lives. That's something to be grateful for! Good luck!

Roommate Stories

This reminds me of a story I had. Well this has to do with my friend who I let use my computer. I was gone at class or something and when I returned I checked my email and I had a response from one of my professors (who was a woman). It turned out my "friend" emailed her asking her out on a date and told her how much I liked her.

She was very understanding, and she wasn't that bad looking either. I must have been fire engine red went I went to class the next day.

"Mr. Toilet Propose"....

I bet that if you e-mail the Webmaster and were REALLY nice, he would let you change your name on this board to something a bit more respectable.... Plus if you have a gun, shoot that **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bat, it is really annoying!

Also you may want to sign-up your "friend" for some spelling lessons at Sullivan Learning Centers. I am not sure what a "Propose" is, I have seen a Porpoise before... but never in a toilet....

Good Luck....

and as the old saying goes... "With friends like that, who needs enemies!"

Falcon Capt.

Thanks guys for the information and timely pep talk, I appreciate it.

Bobbysamd I’ll definitely follow up on the Nasa report just incase.

Avbug the Navajo physically may not 400 years old, but she sure does look, smell and leak all over the ramp like it is.

I guess I’m just a worrywart when it comes to things like my missing logbook. I had this vision of me trying to explain to some grumpy Captain during an interview board that all my endorsements and total time to nearly 2000 hours had vanished one night from the backseat of my car, along with a $350.00 leather jacket and about 20 CD’s.

The FSDO wasn’t much help other than giving me some addresses and a phone number of the people in OKC I needed to speak to about getting copies of my 8710 for my last ride.

And you are right about the about the experience thing, and come to think of it my father told me once that you would much rather be a 500 hour pilot and fly like a 5000 hour pilot that to be a 5000 hour pilot and fly like a 500 hour pilot.

Falcon Capt I’ll email the Webmaster and beg him/her to have mercy upon me for allowing my room mate to clog up the place with junk posts and I’ll jump in to the user edit thing and see if I can’t run that goofy bat outta there for you.

Thanks guys,

James

:)

On a more serious note, the only engines that should be leaking all over the ramp as a matter of routine operation, are all radial. If a navajo is leaking enough to remind one of a radial, it's time to seek employment with an operator who gives a stuff about maintenance. That's a very serious issue, and once an operator allows an engine to become oil soaked, the operator is unable to determine what is new, old, serious, or a spill. Very poor attitude toward maintenance.

If it were a radial engine, that's a different story, because when it stops leaking, it's out of oil.

I'm a big believer in keeping engines clean, dry, and leak free. In fact, the first thing a mechanic must do when he works on an airplane or engine, is clean it. It's also the last thing he must do before approving it for return to service. It's not only good practice, but federal law.

If a problem devleops in an engine, it's easy to spot if the engine is maintained and kept clean and dry. If the engine is already wet, not only is it a real fire hazard issue and has the potential for fouling mags and damaging components, but it's darn near impossible to spot a real problem developing. If you've flown your Navajo at night and studied that glowing turbocharger out there as you fly, you realize how close the ignition sources are to all that leaking oil. If you've never had an oil fire in flight, you just haven't had an exciting evening yet...don't let it happen to you.

I've flown a number of 50 year old (or older) airplanes for fun, and for work, and in every case, those airplanes were in better shape than when new and on their first engines. An airplane may be a year or two old, of fifty or sixty, but there is NO excuse for improper maintenance, ever. I've quit jobs over it before, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Latest resources

Back