• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

throttlejockey

A serious CRM problem!

Man Has Mixed Feelings About $39 Flight

SANDY SPRINGS, GA—Moments after saving hundreds of dollars on round-trip airfare from Atlanta to Los Angeles, Phillip Walden, 41, experienced mixed feelings about the bargain $39 Southwest Airlines flight. "What sort of corners would they have to cut to make a profit on that low a fare?" Walden wondered aloud after completing the Travelocity.com purchase. "Would $39 from every passenger even cover the fuel?" For safety's sake, Walden resolved to buy the second-cheapest ticket available from now on.

The Onion is satire, for those of you who don't know.

At any rate, that article doesn't make any sense. If they are implying that SWA is an unsafe airline, they are very wrong. Southwest has one of the best, if not THE best, safety record out there. Of the few incidents they've had, no one has been killed or even seriously injured. The only thing I can think of is the flight that overran the runway and stopped in a gas station out in California.

Read between the lines

they may have some believe it's humor, but I bet ya'll it was another cheap shot at people from Georgia - if so, I wouldn't expect that from an outfit headquartered in New York.

The Onion is satire, for those of you who don't know.

If they are implying that SWA is an unsafe airline, they are very wrong.
Now why would you recognize that it's satire and then proceed to treat it as a serious article. Perhaps if I explained the punch line --
For safety's sake, Walden resolved to buy the second-cheapest ticket available from now on.
Buying the second cheapest ticket enhances the safety of the flight, so... If he pays more, his flight is safer than that of the guy next to him who paid less - same flight, same airplane. Haha. Get it? No? Oh, well.

Re: Read between the lines

crosscut said:
they may have some believe it's humor, but I bet ya'll it was another cheap shot at people from Georgia - if so, I wouldn't expect that from an outfit headquartered in New York.

Between this and one other current thread, I am shocked. I never knew Georgians were so darn sensitive. :rolleyes:

What with all the rebel flags, pick up trucks, gun racks, and hound dogs, I'd have fig'rd (sic) 'em fer havin' a little thicker skin. Certainly tough enough to not take offense to something written in a yankee rag like The Onion.

;) ;) ;)

Re: Uh......fellas.

Captain X said:
It's a joke. Lighten up.

JOKE?? - oh no, not another one!!! The trio also thought it was, the rest is history. I doubt Eunice is laughing at either.

Thick skin? You see, it's okey-dockey for us Southern Bubbas to wisecrack the hell out of ourselves, but it's another thing for Darn Yankees to dis Old Dixie.

On a lighter note, c'mon, Onion, what's with "Phillip Walden," why not just name him Nestor Ernie Wiggins, Eunice Stone's distance cousin, although, wait - that would be too obvious.

Most of their other stuff is pathetic, regardless of anyone's side of the fence.

Thick skin - may be. Thick head - no. Just wears thin after a while.

Latest resources

Back