malibu vs lancair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

I'm thinking about buying 1986 malibu or Lancair 1990's. Both new engines. So I'm thinking about performance. I currently only fly in florida mostly by myself. So short trips < 3hrs in a bonanza. I would like to move up to more performance. Question for you guys that fly Malibu or Lancair iv-p. I'm leaning toward malibu but not sure if I'll get benifit of it since it will take me about 20 min to climb to my altitude fl15 to get benifit of it's speed. While the lancair will climb in minutes to that level. Downside of the lancair it's a experimental and I fly a lot in ifr and not sure how comfortable i"ll feel. Thanks for any replys

Malibu-bu

The non-turbine Malibus that I have flown seem to be an expensive 3 person airplane (with full fuel). Performance (speed/climb) is unimpressive considering the price of the airplane, but I am flying primarily in the Rockies.

Regarding the Lancair:

1) Check your insurance. My long term disability won't cover me in an experimental airplane.
2) Any pax that you carry might have the same exclusion.
3) What is your liability exposure concerning operating an experimental aircraft for business purposes?

I fly a Mirage a bit and used to fly a Bonanza a lot, you won't notice much of a performance benefit over the Bonanza on short trips. It is comfortable having the pressurization. It's more comfortable for the pax. My wife doesn't like to wear headsets and usually sits in the back reading. If you load it up you won't be flying much over two hours. If you are flying 2-3 hour trips you'll only save about 15-20 minutes or so. Expect the insurance to require simcom training every year. Maintenance also goes up. If you're looking for speed have you considered a Mooney?

Take care!

It's a nice IFR platform. Lower roll rate than the Bonanza and boots to handle light ice.

Last edited:
Mickey thanks for the info. Over the years the mooney always comes up. Since I fly a lot of short trips I may reconsider it. I've been flying a w a friend in his and they are starting to grow on me. Definately more cost effective. Thanks again

Latest resources

Back