Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact that the good night call didnt have any signs of stress in it whatsoever,and the turn was seconds, and possibly even during the turn to the west is concerning.
And you know this how? You haven't heard the tapes yourself, all we got is transcripts from an unknown source that were allegedly translated three times and they are being analyzed by the same so called "experts" that are talking black holes and aliens! All we have is 17 reports all contradicting each other on what was programmed into the FMS that has been contradicted by another so called 10 experts........, we know nothing yet! All this wild "the captain did it" speculation before there is a single piece of wreckage found is moronic at best! And I will say something that might sting a bit but I think it is for all of our growth as human beings and professionals, if the crew was from Iowa, London or Berlin, I can't help to think that 2/3 of the "the captain did it" theories wouldn't be.........!

Last edited:
Just watched a CNN simulation (yeah I know) that seems to show the aircraft would stall after it runs out of fuel on AP. Somehow that kind of surprised me. Boeing couldn't program a max range descent in case of fuel starvation?

And you know this how? You haven't heard the tapes yourself, all we got is transcripts from an unknown source that were allegedly translated three times and they are being analyzed by the same so called "experts" that are talking black holes and aliens! All we have is 17 reports all contradicting each other on what was programmed into the FMS that has been contradicted by another so called 10 experts........, we know nothing yet! All this wild "the captain did it" speculation before there is a single piece of wreckage found is moronic at best! And I will say something that might sting a bit but I think it is for all of our growth as human beings and professionals, if the crew was from Iowa, London or Berlin, I can't help to think that 2/3 of the "the captain did it" theories wouldn't be.........!

Well then for all we know this particular flight may not even be missing at all.the same news media that says it is missing are the ones that said the turn was initiated nearly the same time as the sign off. :smash:

Selective listening?

Well then for all we know this particular flight may not even be missing at all.the same news media that says it is missing are the ones that said the turn was initiated nearly the same time as the sign off. :smash:

Selective listening?

Congratulations, you have taken the idiocy to a whole new level...! But on the bright side, you can now work for the media...!

Congratulations, you have taken the idiocy to a whole new level...! But on the bright side, you can now work for the media...!

It just sounds to me that you only believe what you want to believe.I mean by your thinking,how do we know it even turned to the west?

Turning on the ELT should be the first thing you do.

huh?

You are a Fedex MD 11 Captain and the first thing you would do in a smoke/fire situation is turn on the ELT? Is this Fedex procedure or your own procedure?

I fly the 777 and nowhere in the Emergency descent or Smoke Fire Fumes checklist does it say to "turn on the ELT." Why waste time or energy on the ELT when it can do absolutely nothing to help you stay alive? It's just going to help locate your corpse. Should be the last thing you do IMHO.

Last edited:
WHAT????

I fly the 777 and nowhere in the Emergency descent or Smoke Fire Fumes checklist does it say to "turn on the ELT." The first thing you do is put your mask on and get the plane pointed towards a suitable landing destination.

The logic behind your post is 'we're going to crash so lets get the ELT on in order for everyone on the ground will know why we crashed as soon as possible.' I think most pilots would follow the aviate, navigate, communicate model instead.

OK-OK. Yes, O2 on-100%-emergency. Turn towards closest field. Then turn on ELT if not in positive contact with ATC.

I just don't understand the hostility I keep getting from my suggestion that you activate the ELT immediately. In my airplane (MD-11) it takes less than 1 second to activate. I've been flying for a couple of years now and believe that I could fly the airplane and reach up to activate the ELT all at the same time (with the 02 mask on even!). These guys were not in radio/radar contact. I fly transoceanic every month and I go over this scenario every time. Everyone seems to think that there was an inflight fire (I'm doubtful). Well guess what? If you get an inflight fire over the water chances are very high you are going to have to ditch. You get maybe 20 minutes before the airplane becomes uncontrollable. If you are not talking to anyone how are you going to let them know you are in trouble? Personally, I want SAR to start waking up ASAP. You can always turn the ELT off if you regain VHF comm/radar contact.

If I ever have an inflight emergency and I'm not talking to somebody and in radar contact my ELT is going on. The rest of you can refrain from activating it. Then we can watch CNN for three+ weeks wondering where you went.

Yours,
Fr8doggie

Last edited:
Remember UPS out of DXB? Things got so bad so quickly they weren't able to even change a frequency because they couldn't see the radios. Doesn't surprise me that MAS never made contact.

Fr8doggie,

I get your point. I guess the hostility might be out of a sense of blaming these pilots. They probably did it exactly by the book. Yet their lives have been scrutinized, reputations called into question, homes searched, families in seclusion. I guess throwing the ELT will help locate the wreckage sooner but it's definitely a deviation from SOP. Knowing the media I would guess they would probably call it a pilot suicide because why else would the pilot turn it on if not directed by the checklist? He must have been planning to crash! lol

Remember UPS out of DXB? Things got so bad so quickly they weren't able to even change a frequency because they couldn't see the radios. Doesn't surprise me that MAS never made contact.

They were in radar contact and talking to ATC/other aircraft all the way in. Airplane crashed 27 minutes after fire was reported.

Regards,
Fr8doggie

Latest resources

Back