Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Making the jump from regionals/majors to fractionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Johnsonrod,

Before I give my .02 cents, let me state - I never flew for a fractional. However, I did do my fair share of Part 135 flying where we did a lot of work for Netjets, so I do not have an apples-to-apples comparison, but a fair and balanced view nonetheless.

I had the opportunity on more than one occasion to go to a fractional and chose to go the regional route - I'm currently flying the same thing you are. Here's the pros and cons that I came up with when making my choice:

Pros of Frax vs. Airlines:

1. Nicer hotels by far and you get to keep the points
2. Now that NJ got their contract, much better pay there than here
3. Stability. That's a gamble cause it's good a NJ, not so good at others.

Pros of Regionals vs. Frax

1. Ability to live where you want and commute. Not going to be really possible under new NJ contract for newhires.
2. Schedule. It's just better at my regional - may or may not be at yours, however the thought of going out for 7-8 days at a pop scares me (especially since I've done it in charter)
3. QOL in my opinion is better at the regionals than at NJ, even though you'll make more at NJ. The reason I say this is with seniority, trip trading, monthly bidding, and vacation, you have much more control over the important dates in your life than at NJ. Some NJ pilots may disagree with me over this, but I know that I would not do well under the NJ scheduling rules.

All these are my opinions. No need to flame me if you are at a frac and disagree. Feel free to post your disagreements. My opinion is based on the fact that two of my best friends fly for frax (one NJ, the other Flops) and we compare notes on this stuff all the time. If you want more money, more variety and a more challenging flight environment, go to NJ. If you like having a lot of control over your schedule, or you don't live in one of NJ's gateway cities (and don't want to move there) stay where you're at.

Good luck whatever you decide!
T2S

johnsonrod said:
This is my first post on these boards although I have been reading them for months now. I am a regional EMJ captain and I, like a lot of my peers, am very tired of the crapp that exists in the airline business. It is a downward spiral in terms of wages/benefits and QOL and, although I enjoy the flying aspect itself, I am now starting to look for a possible change... I know a number of regionals are experiencing big changes (ie Indy, Mesaba, ASA, Comair, etc.) and a lot of people are looking into the fractionals as an alternative.

So, I'd love to hear from people who have made the switch from 121 to the fractionals. I realize the frax business might not be for everyone and I'd like to hear positives and negatives because I am considering a big change myself. Yes, I have been reading many of the fractional posts (conducted a big SEARCH and I have read quite a bit) but I'd like some more perspective.

Some questions for those who have made the jump:

a. How was the transition from airline-flying (know your schedule and destinations) to fractional flying (never know where you are flying until night before or while in flight)? Was that change difficult or unsettling?

Transition was a piece of cake. We do fly into many smaller uncontrolled airports but I cant say that I miss the Ground holds from ORD or ATL. Its really nice to see rampers running to greet my airplane again who are eager to help out with whatever I need. The variety of flying is awesome. Unless you are a military guy you have most likely done this kind of flying before.

b. Has your QOL improved or worsened based on your switch to the frax? I understand this can depend upon your base (perhaps not good QOL if you have to move to an undesirable location) and aircraft type (busy vs. less busy fleet)?

I came from one of the best regionals and there is no comparision. I work the flex schedule at NJA so my schedule isnt really fixed per se but they cant keep me out on the road more than 7 days at a time and the hotels we stay in are a cut above where I stayed before and those hotels werent bad. And of course I am racking up hotel and airline points everywhere I go. Since I was hired pre-TA I can live wherever I want and will not have to commute. For a newhire here the commuting might not be great but if you live in or near one of the bases you should enjoy excellent QOL.

c. How do you view the quality of the equipment flown? How do you like your aircraft now vs. what you flew in the airlines?

Like Airbear above I fly the Ultra so its not the most advanced airplane but it is fun to fly. If anything is broken we write it up and it gets fixed - end of story. I have yet to feel pushed to fly anything that makes me uncomfortable. These aircraft are definitely not designed for how we use them but the next generation of business aircraft will hopefully be better designed for fractional usage (Hawker 4000, Embraer Phenom).

d. Could you view your current frax as a career move or do you think you will return to 121 someday? Do many former airline pilots who go to the frax ultimately jump back once given the opportunity or are many deciding to stay?

I think NJA definitely has the potential to be a career job for me. The money is decent and I really enjoy the variety of flying and destinations. I am typing this from the pool at my very nice hotel in MIA. In about an hour they are sending a limo to take me up the Florida coast to pick up another airplane. That would never have happened at my previous job. I am young enough that if a better offer came along I MIGHT consider it but realistically I can't see myself going anywhere anytime soon. This is defintely not airline flying and you cant be afraid of getting your hands dirty - but if you can look past that this is one of the best flying jobs out there right now.

On Your Six said:
How is this statement relevant to this topic? Maybe people should learn to read...

Uh...well when dealing with any type of data there is a low point and a high point, plus a median, mean and mode.

Can you understand that or do I need to draw a diagram?

pgcfii2002 said:
Uh...well when dealing with any type of data there is a low point and a high point, plus a median, mean and mode.

Can you understand that or do I need to draw a diagram?

Not helpful. Thanks for wasting our time. I appreciate any insightful replies.

Hotel points are worth a he!! of a lot more than passes.TC

AA717driver said:
Hotel points are worth a he!! of a lot more than passes.TC

That all depends on you, your family, and the amount of flexibility in your schedule. . . . . my two most recent family vacations (skiing in UT and a week in SAN), the travel benefits trump the hotel points by quite a bit . . . . the airfare alone would have been well over $3000 just for those two trips, and we take 4 or more trips per year.

I prefer to rent a condo instead of staying in a hotel- more space, privacy, and a kitchen, so my hotel points don't get a whole lot of use. You can find condos our houses just about anywhere in the world, and for better prices than a hotel . . . try www.vrbo.com or www.vacationrentals.com .

Last edited:
I appreciate the great replies to this post. I find that this type of research is helpful when considering big changes. Any additional insights or transitional stories would be appreciated. You can PM me too if you like.

Thanks again

Ty Webb said:
. . . . my two most recent family vacations ...the travel benefits trump the hotel points by quite a bit . . . .

I prefer to rent a condo instead of staying in a hotel- more space, privacy, and a kitchen, so my hotel points don't get a whole lot of use.

I see what you are saying, but keep in mind that when most of us say "hotel" points we mean airline points too. I take several trips per year myself. Space positive airline tickets (first class) are much more dependable than passes. You can use points for condos (Hilton Grand Vacations Club) or suites with living areas and kitchens also.

Just say no.......to pass riding.

Latest resources

Back