Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Making the jump from regionals/majors to fractionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

This is my first post on these boards although I have been reading them for months now. I am a regional EMJ captain and I, like a lot of my peers, am very tired of the crapp that exists in the airline business. It is a downward spiral in terms of wages/benefits and QOL and, although I enjoy the flying aspect itself, I am now starting to look for a possible change... I know a number of regionals are experiencing big changes (ie Indy, Mesaba, ASA, Comair, etc.) and a lot of people are looking into the fractionals as an alternative.

So, I'd love to hear from people who have made the switch from 121 to the fractionals. I realize the frax business might not be for everyone and I'd like to hear positives and negatives because I am considering a big change myself. Yes, I have been reading many of the fractional posts (conducted a big SEARCH and I have read quite a bit) but I'd like some more perspective.

Some questions for those who have made the jump:

a. How was the transition from airline-flying (know your schedule and destinations) to fractional flying (never know where you are flying until night before or while in flight)? Was that change difficult or unsettling?

b. Has your QOL improved or worsened based on your switch to the frax? I understand this can depend upon your base (perhaps not good QOL if you have to move to an undesirable location) and aircraft type (busy vs. less busy fleet)?

c. How do you view the quality of the equipment flown? How do you like your aircraft now vs. what you flew in the airlines?

d. Could you view your current frax as a career move or do you think you will return to 121 someday? Do many former airline pilots who go to the frax ultimately jump back once given the opportunity or are many deciding to stay?

I appreciate any perspectives and I hope we won't get into a pi$$ing match. This would be a big move for me if I choose to go that route and I take this research very seriously. I know a lot of my regional peers are looking into the frax business and I appreciate any words of wisdom from people who have made the jump - positive or negative...

Thanks

a. How was the transition from airline-flying (know your schedule and destinations) to fractional flying (never know where you are flying until night before or while in flight)? Was that change difficult or unsettling?

As long as you dont mind not knowing where you are to be the next night, I like being at a different locale instead of DFW SPS DFW or BOS BWI BOS... y'Know? Variety is the spice of life. And honestly, I dont mind the interaction with the customers.

b. Has your QOL improved or worsened based on your switch to the frax? I understand this can depend upon your base (perhaps not good QOL if you have to move to an undesirable location) and aircraft type (busy vs. less busy fleet)?

QOL 120% better, hands down. They actually compensate you!

c. How do you view the quality of the equipment flown? How do you like your aircraft now vs. what you flew in the airlines?

As long as you dont have the heavy metal desire, an airplanre is an airplane, and the company i work for takes care of their equipment for the most part.

d. Could you view your current frax as a career move or do you think you will return to 121 someday? Do many former airline pilots who go to the frax ultimately jump back once given the opportunity or are many deciding to stay?

I am not looking back... I plan on staying here unless a greater oportunity arises I have yet to forsee.

My husband was furloughed from AA after 9/11, but he feels that things have worked out well. He found the transition easy as he enjoys the greater variety (destinations and scheduling) and pax interaction offered by frac flying. He has told me that he thinks it is more interesting because frac pilots go into places that the larger aircraft never see. Frequently he spends most, if not all, of his 7 day tour with the same pilot and finds that an advantage over his AA experience. The QOL increased for my husband because he was sitting reserve in a crash pad, waiting to fly. AT NJ, he has stayed busy and the time also flies. :) The new domicile system may change things for those hired now so answers from those who have home basing may differ. With the new contract, NJA is a job he considers an attractive career choice;he can now afford to keep the job he likes better. In comparing unions, my husband thinks that 1108 does a much better job than ALPA at representing the interests of its pilots.

I hope you are able to collect useful information. The style of flying is quite different and it's a good idea to ask for comparisons. I wish you luck with your decision, whatever you decide is the best career path for you to follow.
Netjetwife

My answers are bascially the same as Highspeedflyer's.

a. I like the variety of airports. We get to some nice places and a few not so nice places. I was on reserve the majority of my 121 career so it's not that big of an adjustment for me. If "productivity breaks" in the 121 world annoy you, don't come here because we do a LOT of sitting around FBO's.

b. Quality of life is much, much better. Some of that has to do with being home based which you may or may not get depending on who hires you. But I get more days off, great insurance, and other nice benefits. Job security is also many times better here (NetJets) than in most of the 121 world.

c. I'm in the Citation V Ultra which is an older plane by corporate jet standards. I've flown a number of them with 10K hours TT. But they compare favorably with the CRJ-200 but are not as nice as the A320's I flew at my major airline job. The jets here do seem to break a lot more than the airlines and it takes longer to get them fixed. The way they're flown is not what they were designed for so that has a lot to do with it. We probably fly these jets 3-4 times the number hours per year than standard corporate operators do.

d. I expect to be offered recall to my major airline job later this year. Unless something major changes I'll be staying here and will probably take early retirement from the 121 job and sock that money into our 401K with the 50% match. Again, this area of aviation is much more secure (with the exception of a few fracs that are struggling) than the 121 world. For the most part we're insulated from the price of fuel. Our pax pay a fuel surcharge and they're going to fly even if Jet-A hits $10/gallon.

AirBear

johnsonrod said:
This is my first post on these boards although I have been reading them for months now. I am a regional EMJ captain and I, like a lot of my peers, am very tired of the crapp that exists in the airline business. It is a downward spiral in terms of wages/benefits and QOL and, although I enjoy the flying aspect itself, I am now starting to look for a possible change... I know a number of regionals are experiencing big changes (ie Indy, Mesaba, ASA, Comair, etc.) and a lot of people are looking into the fractionals as an alternative.

So, I'd love to hear from people who have made the switch from 121 to the fractionals. I realize the frax business might not be for everyone and I'd like to hear positives and negatives because I am considering a big change myself. Yes, I have been reading many of the fractional posts (conducted a big SEARCH and I have read quite a bit) but I'd like some more perspective.

Some questions for those who have made the jump:

I appreciate any perspectives and I hope we won't get into a pi$$ing match. This would be a big move for me if I choose to go that route and I take this research very seriously. I know a lot of my regional peers are looking into the frax business and I appreciate any words of wisdom from people who have made the jump - positive or negative...

Thanks

Sorry, but what airline is EMJ?

I left the regionals a while back, and I can't belive I stayed as long as I did. The airline business changed for the worse, while I belive the frac business has changed for the better: 91k with hard rest rules, improved pay with the new NJ contract.

Many different things have made the frac move improve my quality of life, and give me hope for the future. Sadly, I never was able say that with the regionals.

good luck.

loverobot said:
Sorry, but what airline is EMJ?

I left the regionals a while back, and I can't belive I stayed as long as I did. The airline business changed for the worse, while I belive the frac business has changed for the better: 91k with hard rest rules, improved pay with the new NJ contract.

Many different things have made the frac move improve my quality of life, and give me hope for the future. Sadly, I never was able say that with the regionals.

good luck.

I appreciate your reply. EMJ = Embraer Jet. I suppose ERJ would have worked too.

What is the pay like flying corporate??? Low to high range??

If you don't know.... well lets just say it's been discussed a few times

Nevermind....found it!!!

Latest resources

Back