• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green

Life at Airborne Express-

DC9fo making 172,000 in 2004??WTFO

By LJ-ABX "Let's say you're a 3rd year DC9 FO making $99 per hour. Your guarantee is $6435/mo, $77,220/yr. If you pickup a trip on a day off you'll get a minimum of 4.5 hours which is $445.50 plus the $46 per diem. There are trips which pay over 8 hours in a day (deadhead legs are paid at full pay) so you could make as much as $800-$825 plus per diem for one extra day.

A lot of guys pick up a couple of trips per month which could give our 3rd year F/O an extra $14,000-$15,000 per year with per diem. Some guys really load up on the open time and can nearly double their base salary. I know one 5th year DC9 F/O who made $172,000 in 2004. 767 F/Os who fly that much are over $200,000 but that will take a bit more than three years of seniority."

http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif [URL="http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/buttons/report.gif"]http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/buttons/report.gif[/URL]

Last edited:
SWA baby!! Leave the boxes to FDX and Brown.

I flew with a guy on my last trip that made 320,000 last year... Did he have a life? Not at all, and he paid $100,000 in Federal Income Tax. Not worth it to me.

shagadelic said:
I flew with a guy on my last trip that made 320,000 last year... Did he have a life? Not at all, and he paid $100,000 in Federal Income Tax. Not worth it to me.

I'm single, an F/O at FDX, and I'm getting killed in taxes each month. I need to go buy some kids or something.

shagadelic said:

Then he's not getting good tax representation.....

We'll gross 400k this year....and I expect our tax liability to be less than 20%.

As quick as one loophole closes, another opens....

Not that I want to be obliterate your post on ABX or anything, just an FYI of what one can do at SWA on our days off.
I'm a 6th year F/O and the way my schedule fell for Nov/Dec I had the last 10 days of November off and the first 5 days of December. Last week I picked up a 4 day block of reserve ($103.09x24) and didn't get used at all. The very next day scheduling called and offered me a VJA (time and a half) trip for 2 days with an unscheduled overnight ($103.09x28.9) I don't usually pick up much however, with the holidays and vacation coming up I figured I'd go ahead, plus it helps the company out by picking up on days off.
Anyway, my point is that I just made an additional $5453 by helping out the fine company I'm so fortunate to be a part of while still enjoying the generous amounts of time at home they afford us. Life is not so bad.

Hoke said:
Not that I want to be obliterate your post on ABX or anything, just an FYI of what one can do at SWA on our days off.
I'm a 6th year F/O and the way my schedule fell for Nov/Dec I had the last 10 days of November off and the first 5 days of December. Last week I picked up a 4 day block of reserve ($103.09x24) and didn't get used at all. The very next day scheduling called and offered me a VJA (time and a half) trip for 2 days with an unscheduled overnight ($103.09x28.9) I don't usually pick up much however, with the holidays and vacation coming up I figured I'd go ahead, plus it helps the company out by picking up on days off.
Anyway, my point is that I just made an additional $5453 by helping out the fine company I'm so fortunate to be a part of while still enjoying the generous amounts of time at home they afford us. Life is not so bad.
Yeah, but you had to look at a bunch of passengers

Yeah and F/As too!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back