• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Make the AA hop next year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That "IF" is a big one. International experience is great, plenty of PIC turbine time and flying state-of-the-art equipment is fun, but the fact my bird is the size of your horizontal stab and ZERO 121 time is going to make the job convincing the right people difficult:D I imagine there will be many younger than myself during the interview process. But your right, long-term it would be quite a career.

CorpCapt, my new hire class back in 2/00 had 47 total new hires, out of which a good 10-15 or so were corporate. A respectable percentage. Believe me, if you have a good "in", you have a mighty decent chance. No matter what you're flying - as long as it's PIC Turbine, you're in the ball park.

It's fairly easy to make an excell spreadsheet comparing the financial end of things. I made one when I was considering NJa few years back.
At 85K, it will be a pretty quick swing back to $ ahead.

As anticipated, the entire concept went way over your head.

The OP was asking about leaving an admitted lower paying corp gig to try at a major airline or a better Fortune xx opportunity and was looking for any info on guys who have made this transition...simple career building advice.

You pipe in with Regional Pilot Touretts Syndrome and brag about being in a "Barbie Jet" long enough to make more money than him...moving up the chain at a regional, now there's something to brag about, huh?

As far as wanting your job (dear god) do know that I would likely shoot myself before being able to drive to work and fly an RJ 15 days a month with clowns like you and make 85K....but to each his own.

Please, do come by often and give us lectures on RJ pilots keeping the bar high, its entertaining if anything.

God bless you! Well done...well done..

I would advise the OP to sit tight and try for AA when the time comes. I've done both 121 and now pt 91 corporate and I can tell you, I feel more like a servant than a professional pilot on most days. There are great 91 gigs out there and there are terrible ones. I feel your job like mine are somewhere in the middle, personally this is the most unrewarding job I've ever had. In hindsight leaving the airlines was a big mistake, I made less money but I had way better QOL. I know now that being able to tell the wife and kids if you can be there for them two weeks from now on a certain day is worth more than any amount of money.

I took hard days off for granted big time when I was flying 121. If I missed a holiday, birthday, etc...at least I had a few weeks to plan around it. What's funny to me is that the few corporate gigs regarded as the best are run a lot like well....an airline. Hard days off, crew scheduling, dispatchers, safety officers, SOP's, cockpit standardization, etc..

Take it for what it's worth. I'm not bashing all corporate jobs I only speak from my own experience and observations, but and each his own and do what's best for you.

Appreciate the insight. I'm in the process of meeting a couple people with AA to gauge their thoughts. Most have the same sentiment as you. Seems the difficulty will be most importantly, getting the interview to begin with but also scamming your way into one of the first classes. For now i'm continuing to plug along, content with life until a better opportunity presents itself:rolleyes: Thanks again for the input-
Corp

personally this is the most unrewarding job I've ever had. In hindsight leaving the airlines was a big mistake, I made less money but I had way better QOL. I know now that being able to tell the wife and kids if you can be there for them two weeks from now on a certain day is worth more than any amount of money.

I understand you have to try something new before you know if you like it, but what made you leave the airlines in the first place? Furlough?

LOL again!. Will you wash the owners car? Yes! Will you vacuum and clean the airplane? Yes!. Will you you wipe the owners butt for him? Yes! Your hired!

Another spoon fed regional knit-wit that likes to attacking an innocent poster and bragging about flying an RJ. Please. I've seen more class from a NYC cab driver.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough get get hired and fly with you from Newark to Toledo.

Doesn't hurt to apply to AA and see what happens when the time comes. You won't have the option to decide if you don't apply and ultimately get the offer (no guarantee). I'd probably throw your hat into the ring at Delta, JB and a few others as well for the heck of it. I hear Kalitta and Atlas (new 767 operation is starting up) are hiring quite a few and you do get hard days off. Good luck!

Good luck with your decision CorpCaptain!

I was in a somewhat similar situation, though admittedly I had a lot less to lose than you. I was flying a CJ3 as a co-captain, but wasn't making anywhere close to $85k and was only flying 200 hrs/yr. I had a fantastic QOL and pretty good benefits, but I also felt like I wasn't really progressing professionally.

I've got some very strong contacts at AA, FedEx, and SW, and decided that I may as well give that a shot. So I quit my corporate job a few months ago and headed over to Skywest to get some 121 time. It was at times a terrifying decision, and still is on occasion. But I just keep telling myself to keep my eye on the big picture, and that worst case I can eventually go back to corporate or charter if things don't pan out here. I just got a composite line, and the QOL is actually quite a bit better here than I thought it would be.

Only time will tell if this was the right decision, but either way at least I can say I tried!

Latest resources

Back