• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Majors watch out!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a free market he is free to invest in a start up CRJ 700 operation that does nothing but at-risk flying.

PIH to SLC is a hot market.

In a free market, pilots would be "free" to suspend their services and strike.

The thing that's going to kill service to small airports is NOT pilot salaries, but $100+ oil. They know it's coming, and they're laying the ground work to make us take the fall for it. The first thing these clowns always try to do is convince the pilots that they are in control of the financial well being of the industry. They appeal to our huge egos and flatter us while reaching into our wallets. Oh yeah, and the new duty time limits are going to be a huge boon to the airlines. We'll all soon be flying 20% more.
Very true!!

Costs have been cut, pay rates have been gouged to less than half what they were ten years ago, it's time to face facts- The real problem is not pilot pay or scope, but a failure to charge what the service costs.

Also, what audience is he writing for? If he is writing for an American audience, he should use American English. . . . "Colour, centre, labour", etc. If a British company hired me to write their propaganda, I would at least use their spellings. :laugh:

The way I read the article he thinks Mainline guys should agree to fly the smaller planes for a regional rate.

Most of the so-called analysts and airline pilots always seem to overlook an important point regarding small jet costs (they aren't RJ's). The mindset seems to be that the problem is pilot costs.

I beg to differ. Any of the newer efficient smaller jets will consist of several models depending on seating capacity. The big trigger is once they carry more than 99 seats and then 'BINGO', you get another Flight Attendant in back working 10 minutes each leg wanting $50/hour.

Depending on the demographics of the legacy, this may be a huge cost difference. AA is probably the worst. With that elderly bunch of FA's, they are faced with maybe $180-$200/hour in wages and benefits for a 110 seater crew that really should be around $75-100 for a job that essentially requires a GED and 1 week of training. My opinon is that if they want to compare us to Regional pilots, they should take care of their FA problem first. I already gave at the office. their pay is within single digit percentage points of the best pay for the FA job in the country (or world), my pilot pay is well into the double digits under that standard for a pilot.

APA signed an idiotic side letter with the 2003 giveaway. It basically said they'd get the 70 seaters as long as they were "cost nuetral" for AA to fly. APA dropped it's doors with a pay offer to fly them, less than Comair if I recall correctly. Our FA's basically stopped filing their nails for a moment, looked up from their Star magazines and said "eat sheet Pilot-Boys, we're not getting out of the mall for some lowball RJ pay"

The AA FO's could pay $10 an hour to fly the 70 seaters and they wouldn't be "cost nuetral".

Latest resources

Back