Majority of fliers want to segregate the rug rats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-08-25-familyflying26_ST_N.htm

Nearly 60% of more than 2,000 travelers polled by Skyscanner, a fare-comparison website, say they want airlines to create such a section. In addition, nearly 20% said they'd prefer child-free flights.

Skyscanner posted the poll on its site Aug. 11-23, after a confidential settlement last month between Qantas and a 67-year-old American passenger who sued the Australian airline after a 3-year-old screamed on her flight last year. The woman complained of excruciating pain in her ears and was taken to a hospital before the Darwin-bound flight departed from Alice Springs.

Most poll respondents in favor of creating a families-only section said they don't have young children and "want to sit as far away as possible" from them.

Last edited:
I don't like dipsh!ts, can we have a dipsh!t only section? What about fat people, I hate having to sit next to a fat person, can't we create seperate section for fatties? I guess it would have to be over the wing to handle the extra weight and ensure the CG doesn't get out of limits...I digress.

People suck.

I've got kids and would prefer to fly with them in a kid section. At least the people around me would know what they were getting into instead of losing the seat lottery. Seems like a win-win to me.

There is no need for a kids section. How about parents be parents and raise their kids properly. When I was growing up, I knew how to behave in public. My parents had a pretty good rule for my brother and I, "don't show your ass in public"! In other words, act like you've been there before. We were respectful of adults....it was yes sir, yes ma'am or no sir or no ma'am. We could sit upright in a seat and not run all over the place. When we went to somone else's house, we didn't run all around their home. We sat down and waited to be asked from the host if we'd like something to eat or drink. We don't need a separate kids section. Parents need to teach their kids how to behave in public. We have lost that fine art in America as some of you may know what I mean! In fact all mom and dad had to do is just give us the look if my brother and I started to deviate and we knew what that meant. Again in this society where is accepting responsibility for your actions and most importantly raising your kids to respect authority and knowing how to conduct themselves in public....which is a reflection of the parents.

Man, once I had this trashy family sitting across the aisle. The parents were incredibly boorish in behavior. Loud and disruptive. Laughing out loud and general buffoonery. Their little tyke was just as uncontrollable and I found it funny how the mother of this brat would reprimand him for the exact same behavior she was engaging in. So hypocritical. And yea, its the parents fault often. Its amazing how parents allow free reign oftheir children. You can bet my folks were not this kind. I was often threatened with serious consequences for making trouble in public.

How about parents be parents and raise their kids properly.

Ya see, it's your premise that's all wrong! People want everything done for them these days. It's a raise your kids by committee country now. That way, no one has any accountability....

Just talk to a school teacher. There are very few "parents" in the country these days.... it's pretty sad....

Ya see, it's your premise that's all wrong! People want everything done for them these days. It's a raise your kids by committee country now. That way, no one has any accountability....

Just talk to a school teacher. There are very few "parents" in the country these days.... it's pretty sad....
I agree! I have many friends who are school teachers and they say the same thing. Parents aren't raising their kids they want the schools to raise their kids. A friend of mine called a parent at home to address a discipline problem they had with a student. The parent told the teacher its their problem while the kid is at school, they don't have time to address the issue. Schools are for teaching and educating kids, not for raising kids.

I can guarantee you if you sat in front of my kids they wouldn't bother you, because my wife and I would be....wait for it.... PAYING ATTENTION TO THEM!! We also bring a lot of books, stickers, small toys, etc.

Half the parents I see just throw a PSP at their kids and ignore them the entire time until they finally act so bad they get yelled at. Can't figure out why you even have kids if you don't want to interact with them.

Obnoxious passengers come in all ages.

If parents want the schools to raise their kids and teach them properly, I suggest every teacher gets issued their choice of a leather strap or a wooden paddle and gets free reign to use them. Without a little fear, there just isn't any incentive for the little brats to behave. I would like to see the paddles and straps used on the parents every once in a while too. As far as adding more sections to the airplane, I just don't see it happening. The airlines would have to be able to make a profit on half full flights to make adding sections that would be mostly empty overall. Not ever going to happen.

So I guess I am being a "bad parent" when my 2 year old son is crying because the pressure changes are hurting his ears. Just because a kid is crying it isn't as simple as the parent is no good.

Latest resources

Back