• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Least affected by 65 - PLZ HELP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just worry about getting hired and forget about the small things, which by the way...this issue is when put into persective.

Right on the mark Spooky! Get the job offer first, you may not have as many choices as you think. Then everything else will be sorted out.

Table 1 – Actuarial Study of lifespan vs. age at retirement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Age at……………………….Average Age
Retirement…………………….At Death
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
49.9………………………….86
51.2………………………….85.3
52.5………………………….84.6
53.8………………………….83.9
55.1………………………….83.2
56.4………………………….82.5
57.2………………………….81.4
58.3………………………….80
59.2………………………….78.5
60.1………………………….76.8
60……………………………74.5
62.1………………………….71.8
63.1………………………….69.3
64.1………………………….67.9
65.2………………………….66.8

Well that table says it all! I am printing it and giving it to every Captain I fly with. It might help some guys to make a better decision on when to retire.

IN a memo last month, APA mentioned Bush was suppose to veto this bill.

That was the transportation bill, which included the age60 ruling. Bush isn't opposed to the age 60 rule, but had issues with other parts of the bill.

This will be signed. It passed the house and senate without a single no vote.

Of course, why would the congressmen vote no? They are the same age as the APAADs that pushed this through.

Just worry about getting hired and forget about the small things, which by the way...this issue is when put into persective.

This is the biggest thing to hit our careers since 9-11. It is a disaster for anyone in the right seat.

This is the biggest thing to hit our careers since 9-11. It is a disaster for anyone in the right seat.

It is huge. Give all those SWA captains you fly with a big congradulations on a job well done. They pushed for this like no other group. I'd like to throw ALPA off property here at CAL right now for their support of this too.

Other airlines, like CAL, are hiring due to expected retirements primarily.

Incorrect. The fleet of 737's is being mostly exchanged on a one for one basis but there is growth there as we have not allowed our 70+ seat flying to be farmed out to regionals. We currently have some of the best scope protection of any airline. Our growth remains in the same place that yours does, international. At CAL, management takes a little more reserved approach to starting a route vs rapid expansion that may or may not work. Our current deliveries for 787's stand at 25 with 25 options. We were just awarded LHR with four frequencies and Shanghi begins in 2009.

I had heard that almost 50% of pilots never make it to retire at age 60. This is b/c early retirement and medical, or other reasons.
I found this hard to believe, so I looked at the last 20 guys to leave (as Captains) and I kid you not it was almost dead on. 11 had retired and 9 had medicaled out.

Makes me wonder of the 50% that could have kept going how many would have? This sucks!

Latest resources

Back