• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Least affected by 65 - PLZ HELP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Table 1 – Actuarial Study of lifespan vs. age at retirement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Age at……………………….Average Age
Retirement…………………….At Death
49.9………………………….86
51.2………………………….85.3
52.5………………………….84.6
53.8………………………….83.9
55.1………………………….83.2
56.4………………………….82.5
57.2………………………….81.4
58.3………………………….80
59.2………………………….78.5
60.1………………………….76.8
60……………………………74.5
62.1………………………….71.8
63.1………………………….69.3
64.1………………………….67.9
65.2………………………….66.8

Huh? Why would a person who retires at 60.1 live 2.3 years LONGER than a person who retired at 60?

This is the biggest thing to hit our careers since 9-11. It is a disaster for anyone in the right seat.

It may seem like a big deal now and yea it's problably the big deal of the hour but comparerd to some of the unkowns, which this isn't, there are at least a dozen more really big deals around the corner that can cripple your careers. So maybe your not going to make Capt. in five years and now it's going to take eight, nine or even ten years, which I doubt in todays world. There are many who went beore you and didn't make F/O, much less Capt. in five years, so save the tears for someone who has not gone before.

It may seem like a big deal now and yea it's problably the big deal of the hour but comparerd to some of the unkowns, which this isn't, there are at least a dozen more really big deals around the corner that can cripple your careers. So maybe your not going to make Capt. in five years and now it's going to take eight, nine or even ten years, which I doubt in todays world. There are many who went beore you and didn't make F/O, much less Capt. in five years, so save the tears for someone who has not gone before.

Here let me help you out....

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

At Delta we lost 2300 Cpatians prior to BK due to the pensions. That made our group fairly young compared to others, with 1000 pilots over 50, which includes 500 over 55. Our current hiring spree is due to expansion, not retirements. We are growing and adding INTL routes fast, which require extra pilots. Other airlines, like CAL, are hiring due to expected retirements primarily. That could affect hiring there I would suppose. You have to look at why an airline is hiring, and if it is retirements, then hiring could slow, along with future upgrades. Delta will have less retirements now, but down the road growth could grind to a hault.

Bye Bye--General Lee
General - don't you think that the smaller # of over 50 and 55 guys in our group would push the impact on us at DAL further down the road vs, NWA like someone mentioned? At least that means some of us can MAKE CApt...then stagnate.....this all stinks.
I wrote letters and made calls.... but I was but one voice.

What happened to Oberstar saying this would never be stand alone legislation? Didn't he say that?
Seeing as how Oberstar is ALPA's biggest ally on the Hill, I think you can deduce that Prater pushed this along in the last few days.

Table 1 – Actuarial Study of lifespan vs. age at retirement.
Age at……………………….Average Age
Retirement…………………….At Death
49.9………………………….86
51.2………………………….85.3
52.5………………………….84.6
53.8………………………….83.9
55.1………………………….83.2
56.4………………………….82.5
57.2………………………….81.4
58.3………………………….80
59.2………………………….78.5
60.1………………………….76.8
60……………………………74.5
62.1………………………….71.8
63.1………………………….69.3
64.1………………………….67.9
65.2………………………….66.8

Dad retired at 64.1. After 5 years of driving mom crazy, went back to work at almost 69 and today is 70.5 and still going strong. Your point with the worthless chart?!

Dad retired at 64.1. After 5 years of driving mom crazy, went back to work at almost 69 and today is 70.5 and still going strong. Your point with the worthless chart?!

Because a single data point usually discredits large studies. That chart comes from Boeing pension plan data, and corroborates with similar sources. It's useful information. Anecdotes are just that.

Latest resources

Back