Major Airline or RJ Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shroomwell

As a guy who is almost 30 and does not yet have a job with a Regional is there ever a chance of making it to a major let alone being a captain with one, or should I be complacent with RJ captain.

I would like to hear your opinions on the matter, especially from those who know first hand. Any other career advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dude, even if you are forty with a major, that is twenty years of service. Compared with most RJ capts that make around $70 an hour and take 3-5 years to do it. I will make that as an F/O second year working for ATA. I would find a regional that offers a quick upgrade over a better quality of life. That will put you on the faster track. Get the PIC turbine time and don't worry about jet time until you have the 1000 PIC. Good luck.

I would not be concerned at all, you still have plenty of time to get to a "major" when things pick up. More than one have recently made the jump from being a 135 captain to a AWA or ATA so you have more than "one" option.:D I do anticipate many of the others following in Air Tran's steps where one day you will need a specific amount of 121 PIC time. On a recent trip home back east all but one of the ATA pilots I met were hired in directly from the 135/91 world.

good luck,

3 5 0

shroomwell said:
As a guy who is almost 30 and does not yet have a job with a Regional is there ever a chance of making it to a major let alone being a captain with one, or should I be complacent with RJ captain.
First off, I second Hugh's comment about being "complacent" with being an RJ captain. I, for one, would have found that to be the icing on the cake of my career goals. So would plenty of other people.

At 29, you are definitely not too old. You need to take it one step at a time. You first need to get a regional job. You then have to work your way up to regional captain, so you can build the magic 1000 hours of turbine PIC. At that point the business might look much different. You might actually like being an RJ captain. $70/hour isn't exactly chicken feed. If you still want to move on, your 1000 of turbine PIC will be sufficent to stop majors HR from chucking your app.

Let's say you accomplish all this within the next six years. You would be thirty-five, and still viable for the majors. That still gives you twenty-five years to fly for your major, barring recessions and furloughs. You very well could make captain during that time. As was written above, if you can find a regional with rapid upgrades, you can accelerate your progress.

Best thing you can do to avoid disappointment in this business is to set realistic goals. Captain at the majors may not be realistic any more, and not only for you but for many people. Regional captain is definitely realistic, and attainable.

Good luck with your plans.

Let's say you accomplish all this within the next six years

This may be an unrealistic goal.

I would question those who suggest you should get a job with any old regional with a quick upgrade just to get the 1000 pic turbine.

Why not seek employment with a regional where, if all else should fail, you could enjoy long-term, stable, employment ... good quality of life... livable pay.

Dont sell yourself short and contribute to the lowering of the bar in some "race" to get 1000 pic with the hopes that suddenly the majors will break down your door.

Get a good job, support your family, keep realistic expectations. Figure out what is important in your life and move in that direction rather than following all of the lemmings that desperately seek some arbitrary number in their logbooks rather than enjoying their careers.

I agree Jungle! BTW nice shakin tush there! I don't understand the "complacent with RJ captain" statement. Wrong choice of words or my vocabulary is lacking.

The real advice for a non working pilot is get a job! At your age the sky is about the limit unless you want to fly the space shuttle!

This instant gratification or instant success attitude doesn't cut it. Man, there are few of us who have taken shortcuts. Pay your dues and keep the greasy side down....unless you are in a Pitts!

I would not get caught up in the "pulling the industry down" bull$**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. Use the regionals for what they are for most, a stepping stone to the next level. There is only one thing you should be concerned about in this industry, and that is yourself. A sad but very true statement.

Tough call...

I agree with Treme that it sucks to have to take a job with an operator he views as 'below the bar" just to get 1000 PIC.

That being said, I feel the most optimistic and positive approach should be taken. That would mean taking an otherwise unsavory job and building the turbine PIC as quickly as possible. I flew 135 freight for 2.5 years and got about 1700 hours of turbine PIC out of the deal, and a job with Frontier afterward. The problem with going somewhere you wouldn't mind being stuck is that while you are stuck, you are an FO drawing fairly low pay, which to me translates to lower quality of life especially if you are trying to support a family. That's why I'd vote for biting the bullet now, getting it done and get to the place you want to RETIRE from as quickly as possible.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back