• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Airline or RJ Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With all due respect you have to know that your position as a pilot with Southwest is the minority.

Only a very, very, VERY small percentage of pilots will ever have the opportunity to put on a Southwest uniform.

With over 12,000 pilots furloughed from major airlines and "regional jets" approaching the 100+ seat mark, it is far more likely that the majority of pilots will make their careers at the so-called "regional" airlines whether they like it or not.

Many of us who are re-starting our careers after yet another furlough are doing the same thing.

My advice would be to find a company where you can expect a reasonable quality of life, realistic pay, and (at least the appearance of job-security).

Why sacrifice in the short term for a job that, at least for the time being, doesnt really exist. Go for the job that will permit you to take care of yourself and your family -- even if the upgrade time is a little longer.

IF, years from now when the majors are in a hiring mode again, you choose to move on... great. If you choose NOT to move on, then you're already in a good place.

I wish that Southwest would offer a job to every pilot on this message board (especially those of us with 737 types and thousands of hours in type) but thats a lot like buying a lottery ticket -- you have a shot, but in percentages, its not particularly likely.

With all due respect you have to know that your position as a pilot with Southwest is the minority.

That might be true, but there is a heck of a lot better chance of getting hired at SWA right now than at any other major. The only way to get hired at SWA is to have more than 1000 hrs PIC turbine. Most likely, the best way to get that is with a small commuter. The pay sucks, the benefits suck, the working conditions suck, but sooner or later, if you keep on trying, you will get hired, if you make PIC. 4000 hrs sic in a turboprop or RJ at a "good" commuter isn't as good as 1000 PIC turboprop at a crummy one, if you are looking to go further in your career than a commuter. If your goal IS to work and stay at a commuter, then by all means, pick one with better benefits and pay.

FWIW. I bought my type in 1994 for the express purpose of getting an INTERVIEW with SWA when no one else was hiring (sound familiar). My chances were just/almost as slim then (a lot of my peers thouight I was nuts) but what got me my job was my extensive experience as PIC in the various (7, plus DHL) commuters that I flew for in the 10 years prior to SWA. I am not too sure that if I had spent most of those 10 years in the right seat that I'd have gotten the interview at all, much less the job.

With over 12,000 pilots furloughed from major airlines and "regional jets" approaching the 100+ seat mark, it is far more likely that the majority of pilots will make their careers at the so-called "regional" airlines whether they like it or not.

We are in a down cycle right now. As long as the tsA keeps us all safe from another 9/11, the cycle will turn up. Your point about the regionals is well taken though. As scope language deteriorates, more and more mainline flying is being done by the regionals, so maybe the future does belong to the RJ.

I wish that Southwest would offer a job to every pilot on this message board (especially those of us with 737 types and thousands of hours in type) but thats a lot like buying a lottery ticket -- you have a shot, but in percentages, its not particularly likely.

Just a few years ago, when all of the majors were hiring, we couldn't fill the NH classes. People were no showing right and left, and we even had a few guys jump ship and go to UAL and USAir(which I thought was dumb, even then). That's when SWA dropped the type requirement for the interview. The cycle will change again.

Given a choice, go for the job with the quickest upgrade to PIC........

Again, just my opinion, based on my own experience......

Everybody keeps saying that the RJ's are the future and they will be taking passengers from the larger planes. The way I see it is that airports are already crowed enough. If RJ's do alot of the flying then you have to have more flights to transport the same amount of people. Are airport capacities going to be able to handle the increase in flights?

RJ captains definitely make enough to live comfortably. For a junior captain on reserve assume $60 per hour and 75 hour guarantee. That's $4500 per month and $54,000 annually as base pay. With seniority and a hard line, you'd make much more.

As far as majors, the ones that survive may not be recalling furloughees for years and may not hire for years after that.

On the other hand, low fare carriers are growing and hiring.

Keep your options open, but don't discount spending your career in an RJ.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back