• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Maintenance Test Flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did my first one not too long ago at XJT out of SHV fresh out of C-check.

Nothing like asking the MX guy "Why do 2 of you have to come"

"well i'll be riding up front with you for the flight, and the other guy will be in the back to listen for strange noises"

what did I get myself into? :eek:

All and all it was mostly fly around at 12000 ft and time how long the gear and flaps go up and down and test the ICE system at 310 followed by a CAT II app.

\
Basically, you take off and see if they fixed the stupid thing yet. No special training required.

I hope your company/ies dont do test flight like that. If I do a test flight it requires a min of 2 hrs flight time and most likely at least 2 hrs gnd time prior to thr flight to check was has been done. If an engine has been changed, that means a min of at least on engine shut down and relight in flight. I wont do a test flight unless it is day-vfr and the crew-members must have at lest 500hrs in type.
Its more than just a hop around the patch

I did one or two at PCL, but I usually refused them unless it was something very benign. If anything was done to the primary flight control or engine, then I told them no way. On the couple that I did do, the mx guy did ride along on the jumpseat.

Pu$$ie.......

********************ing management puke. You know who the real *ussy is? YOU and your family.

What, the airplane is gonna test fly its self?
Think before you type moron. If your sissy a$$ won't do it someone else will.

Here's another litttle note for ya, grand pubah... No Pilot ever has done something that they did not want to do...

Last edited:

I'm not a test pilot. If some management puke wants to go be a "big man" and test fly airplanes, then he can have at it. Meanwhile, I'll fly my regular schedule and keep my certificate protected to the greatest extent possible.

I'm not a test pilot. If some management puke wants to go be a "big man" and test fly airplanes, then he can have at it. Meanwhile, I'll fly my regular schedule and keep my certificate protected to the greatest extent possible.

Thankyou. Any pilot will agree. No Wasty My ticket bubi! So, so sowwie! I go home and kiss my sweetie! Buh by, goodnight!

I always cringed when realizing that generally it's the two most junior people in their seats doing these test flights. Reserve CA and reserve FO. Just doesn't make much sense.

I always cringed when realizing that generally it's the two most junior people in their seats doing these test flights. Reserve CA and reserve FO. Just doesn't make much sense.

My experience as well. And they're usually done at night, without a filed flight plan and without VFR sectionals (company doesn't provide them)

That last is enough to refuse a flight right there. (Must have charts pertinent to flight even for Part 91). Which I have successfully done in the past.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back