mad insane runways in alaska!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crash-proof

that's right, i just happened to stumble across this link, that contains dozens and dozens of Alaskan airports in the countryside. You have to go thru a few, but some of these are soooo scary that you wouldn't go even with a chopper. Makes me gain even more respect for the bush pilots. Wow!

http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/airports2.htm

enjoy...

Hey neat link, havent seen that before. Most of those arent bad. THe really scary ones that I have flown into are EEK, and Tooksook Bay. Both short and somewhat....unimproved. Dont know if I would want to go in either of those without my trusty Twin Otter. BTW we dont have countryside up here, its all tundra. Which is an eskimo word which means "nothing" :D ie. "look at all the tundra out there".

/me would like some hair/ :(

its nneding to have that dam alaska time to get an alaska job that kills me ;)

Some companies require Alaska time to get a job up here. But when I came up, I was hired with none. I also knew the DO from a previous job. But (and this is a big but) companies like Hageland and Grant Aviation both state (on their web sites) they will waive their Alaska time requirement, if you have similar expierance. Also companies like Skagway Air Service have been know to hire people without Alaska time... Also look at Larry's Flying Service, A.T.S and Yute Air. Many people get a few hundred hours of AK time by instructing out of Anchorage or Fairbanks.

The runways that you make in the tundra and riverbeds are the real runways. I have three up there that I will affectionatly call Gardner1, Gardner2, and Gardner 3. The longest is 800 feet.:D

P.S. Always make the shortest runway near the best place to catch 2 foot rainbows. It keeps the city people out.;)

Latest resources

Back