• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

mad insane runways in alaska!!!

crash-proof

Total Time
Wasted
that's right, i just happened to stumble across this link, that contains dozens and dozens of Alaskan airports in the countryside. You have to go thru a few, but some of these are soooo scary that you wouldn't go even with a chopper. Makes me gain even more respect for the bush pilots. Wow!

http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/airports2.htm

enjoy...

Twotter76

Masterless Samurai
Total Time
enough
Hey neat link, havent seen that before. Most of those arent bad. THe really scary ones that I have flown into are EEK, and Tooksook Bay. Both short and somewhat....unimproved. Dont know if I would want to go in either of those without my trusty Twin Otter. BTW we dont have countryside up here, its all tundra. Which is an eskimo word which means "nothing" :D ie. "look at all the tundra out there".

wingnutt

...recognize this?
Total Time
+30yrs
/me would like some hair/ :(

its nneding to have that dam alaska time to get an alaska job that kills me ;)

OtterFO

Flying Again!!!!
Total Time
Some companies require Alaska time to get a job up here. But when I came up, I was hired with none. I also knew the DO from a previous job. But (and this is a big but) companies like Hageland and Grant Aviation both state (on their web sites) they will waive their Alaska time requirement, if you have similar expierance. Also companies like Skagway Air Service have been know to hire people without Alaska time... Also look at Larry's Flying Service, A.T.S and Yute Air. Many people get a few hundred hours of AK time by instructing out of Anchorage or Fairbanks.

TurboS7

Total Time
The runways that you make in the tundra and riverbeds are the real runways. I have three up there that I will affectionatly call Gardner1, Gardner2, and Gardner 3. The longest is 800 feet.:D

P.S. Always make the shortest runway near the best place to catch 2 foot rainbows. It keeps the city people out.;)