• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lying in an Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has anyone answered the question about arrested vs convicted? Let's say you were walking home from the Kwik-E-Mart, munching a burrito, and are arrested at gunpoint because you are 5'2", red hair, and that matches the description of a guy that robbed the bank four blocks away.

You are released 2 hours later when the real bank robber is caught.

What do you say in the interview? Tell them the whole story? Probably good for a sympathetic chuckle.

But it gets worse in the next example. You are accused of tax evasion, and endure a LONG and expensive trial. Ultimately the jury returns NOT GUILTY. This one is not so easy to talk about. Even if you say "Yeah I was arrested but not convicted", the interviewer is probably thinking "Hmm, how'd this guy get off? Loophole? He MAY be guilty."

A friend of mine completed ARD, the misdemenor was expunged, and he got a letter from his lawyer saying "You can legally advise that you have never been arrested or convicted of this crime" Case Closed.

Case NOT closed, as far as an airline job goes. Have your friend try it and let us know how it works out. The lawyer could not be more wrong if he intentionally tried to be.

IFollowRoads said:
The clerk of the court files might be expunged, but the arrest paperwork stays at the jail forever, as a civil liberties safeguard. In other words, the arresting agency can't make all the paperwork go away and deny having had someone in custody. So depending on how in depth the background investigation is, you can get nailed in the interview about a past arrest.

There are consequences for all your actions. Owning up to a mistake is one of those consequences. Don't make the situation worse for yourself by being a liar.
I had a misdemeanor expunged from my record years ago and there was about 8 expungement orders issued that I had to deliver to the various agencies, including the jail, FBI, city, county, and state records, etc.. so your assumption that the record remains with the jail is not entirely correct.

Line check

I have recently interviewed with a rejional airline they have asked me if I have ever failed a check ride and I said NO. Days later I become concerned with a line check I had right after IOE for my Captain upgrade I landed hard and my IOE Captain was scared to sign me off since we had a FAA observer on the jump seat I went out the following day with out an FAA jump seater and was signed off after a short round trip. Got me thinking was that a failed check ride and if it was why the FAA wasn't riding with us the following day? Is line check even considered a check ride.

Depends on the Questions Asked and Where??

Gorilla said:
Has anyone answered the question about arrested vs convicted? Let's say you were walking home from the Kwik-E-Mart, munching a burrito, and are arrested at gunpoint because you are 5'2", red hair, and that matches the description of a guy that robbed the bank four blocks away.

You are released 2 hours later when the real bank robber is caught.

What do you say in the interview? Tell them the whole story? Probably good for a sympathetic chuckle.

But it gets worse in the next example. You are accused of tax evasion, and endure a LONG and expensive trial. Ultimately the jury returns NOT GUILTY. This one is not so easy to talk about. Even if you say "Yeah I was arrested but not convicted", the interviewer is probably thinking "Hmm, how'd this guy get off? Loophole? He MAY be guilty."

Yes, a few grey areas. There are two areas of concern. First the application form and then the interview. The interview may be more probing.
Most apps ask if you have EVER been CONVICTED of a felony or misdemeanor. Some ask if that's the case over the pasy 10 years. Best way to answer this is to actually answer the question and don't add any additional information. If whatever happened was more than 10 years ago and that's what they are asking for, then the answer is simply NO. You are, after all, answering the SPECIFIC question. It's the company counsel that inserts those questions any way. Play them at their own game. Of course, if the question is more probing, then you have to answer that appropriately.
If you were arrested for an alleged misdemeanor but subsequently all charges were dropped for whatever reason, then your answer for were you convicted is clearly a no, since you were not convicted and any record remaining or otherwise would show this. Only an arrest for probable cause would show.
Questions in an interview usually are more probing. Is there anything we should know about you that we have not covered? is a typical exmple. I would then mention about an arrest that will likely show up but don't dwell on it. Give brief details and then SHUT UP. So many people dig BIG holes for themselves as we have found out above.
Just answer the question(s) they ask, answer them briefly and don't volunteer too much nor try to cover it up or make it out that it was not your fault. Common sense, really.

IFollowRoads said:
The clerk of the court files might be expunged, but the arrest paperwork stays at the jail forever, as a civil liberties safeguard. In other words, the arresting agency can't make all the paperwork go away and deny having had someone in custody. So depending on how in depth the background investigation is, you can get nailed in the interview about a past arrest.

There are consequences for all your actions. Owning up to a mistake is one of those consequences. Don't make the situation worse for yourself by being a liar.

Getting falsely arrested for something you did not do is not a mistake. Think before you speak son.

air cowboy said:
Getting falsely arrested for something you did not do is not a mistake. Think before you speak son.

Think before you speak, "son." The issue at hand has nothing to do with why you were arrested, if the charges were upheld or not, or if you sued the hell out of the arresting agency later. The discussion is about lying about a past arrest or charge in an interview, not the nuances of constitutional law.

Here's something else that might be food for thought.

The other day I was having a conversation with a co-worker along the lines for arrest records and such, and he said that when he went through a background check 2 things from his past surfaced:

An arrest when he was 9 for shoplifting

and later he was questioned in connection with a rape. not arrested, not charged, but questioned.

You want to bet your career that your "expunged" crime, whatever it is doesn't exist in any file, anywhere?

Why ios it that some people are so opposed to the concept that honesty is the best policy?

Latest resources

Back