• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Luggage question for you Frac Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I got from NJA Capt's post was that the time you waste waiting on a checked bag could better be spent-at the aircraft-for example you might have an hour to get things ready instead of 45min.
When things are perfect-(ie weather, aircraft stock, Jepps etc)-it is easy to turn an aircraft in a short amount of time-but when things start piling up-and oh by the way-the owner/passengers show 15 min early-you might wish you had that extra time back.

I know thats pretty intuitive of me to get all that from NJA Capt's post-but my mom always said I was gifted.

Fly Safe
Chuck
Ps I never check my bag and I have plenty of room to carry changes of clothes, uniforms, workout clothes etc in a travel pro roller bag and a carry soft sided bag for 7 days-have to-the Hawker has the least amount of baggage space out of all our aircraft.

Last edited:
To each his own. I started checking bags after being the last one on the airplane (after security search) and finding all overhead space gone for about the tenth time. Also, i might have been influenced slightly by the security folks going through my carry-ons virtually 100% of the time. Then, I had to check it a couple of times because one of the RJ operators sends gate checked bags to baggage claim instead of giving them back planeside. Personally, I enjoy having a larger bag and taking extra stuff on long tours. Also, I can pack better and thus don't have to iron a shirt every night. All in all, I decided not checking wasn't worth the hassle. If the pax show early or not enough time is allotted to do a proper preflight, that's not my problem. I'll do the best I can and no more.

I don't get it, I personally enjoy a small bag, less crap to carry, and I make it for 8 days with a small bag, I have made it for 14 days in a small bag when I go International, plus I never get serched at the gate any more since I made premier status each year, I havent had my bag sarched for the last 5 months, plus I board right after first class passengers, plus, why would you Iron your shirts anyway?, I used to do that, but it is a waste of time, a few wrinckles ain't going to be noticed, plus it will just get wrinckled again after working all day, so who cares.

On more than one occasion, the company has called or paged me while I waited in the gate area and told me not to board the plane. To either change destination, or go back to the FBO. That creates major hassles (for you and the airline) to retrieve that bag. It also wastes a lot of your time that you may be needing to get YOUR plane ready. I personally don't like getting to our destination and having to wait for my FOs bag to come around the carousel. I would rather use that :10 minutes on OUR plane.

Sorry my stupid laptop started ticking and ticking and then it meleted down.

It happens to me all the time when they change desitnations or make me go back to the FBO. It's not our problem that scheduling can't make up their mind.

As far as waiting for FO's bag's to come around the carosel what's the big deal. It usually takes the FBO a while to come pick us up.

If the pax show early I explain the situation that we are not ready but are working diligently to get the job done and will not compromise safety for schedule.

Off I go on the road tomorrow and you can bet a rampie will see my duct taped bag being thrown into the belly of the beast.

Oh put a union sticker on your bag. It seems to make the rampers get it to the front of the line. Especially at my gateway.

Where do I sign up to fly with JPB>....gross man, really hygenic.

The facts are these:

Luggage Works (FKA Purdy Neat Stuff) makes a kick ass bag.

I use a 26" metal frame LW bag that I love. I have used it for 4 years and only the velcro is starting to wear out.

Every time I send it in for repairs, they fix more than I ask for and at no charge.

LW customer service is awesome.

I carry on my bag but only becasue i consider my bag a very cool thing that I want to stay in good shape. I gate check my bag for RJ and turbo prop flights.

I could care less if my F/O or CoCa checks his/her bag. Personal choice and that is all.

Still haven't lost my bag. Even took a later flight on my way home to have lunch at the airport with my father-in-law.

Changed flights and my bag still made it. Can't get rid of the damn thing.

Travel Pro Series, Lifetime warr. I think, bought a bag 7 years ago for 149 and they have fixed it twice for free and give me a brand new bag after 6 years.
Dont let them know your a crew member though.

Latest resources

Back