• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CorpLearDriver

Type aircraft owned
AA-5A
Base airport
KHOU
Ratings
ATP-AMEL, CFI, CFII, CFI-ME, & CFI-G, Type Ratings: ATR 42, ATR 72, CL-600, EMB-145, G100, HS-125, IA-1125, LR-60, LR-JET,
I have a question. I've been looking at the regs (FAR Part 61 subpart J and other parts) trying to figure out if there is a difference between Light Sport Aircraft and Special Light Sport Aircraft. I see some aircraft advertised as one or the other and was just wondering.

LSA is the general term for aircraft that meet the Light Sport definition of 1.1 in terms of weight, number of seats, speed, etc.

Special LSA is the new certification created to certify planes under that defintion, as opposed to planes that already exist that happen to meet the definition, like some Champs and Cubs (Standard LSA), or Experimental LSA.

LSA is the general term for aircraft that meet the Light Sport definition of 1.1 in terms of weight, number of seats, speed, etc.

Special LSA is the new certification created to certify planes under that defintion, as opposed to planes that already exist that happen to meet the definition, like some Champs and Cubs (Standard LSA), or Experimental LSA.

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Mike

Latest resources

Back