Lowest time King Air PIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes, the insurance will decide.

With you minimal experience, they may require AT LEAST 100 hours of dual IN TYPE before you can fly it yourself. And that INCLUDES a premium of probly around 25-30k PER YEAR. Your employer may look at hiring someone else that has more time and save 20,000 per year. This is a bad time to be a pilot, especialy a low time pilot.

I had 4 hours in a king air then went and did the 135 check.

Good luck

Had a friend ignore the advise to talk to the insurance company first (~1200 hr. guy), went to school, got back, got fired for not knowing he wouldn't be qualified, and is now selling used cars.

I have had 2 pilots get their own turbines (Cheyennes) coming out of piston twins, had to go to school, and get 25 hours of dual. No idea what their insurance rate was. My father-in-law was the same, think he told me $20k/yr.

School helps for sure (mostly required), and the dual with a qualified pilot is what I've seen required, other than that, no problem. I do know a guy that had around 1000 hrs, got on a Citation and was captain by 1500.

I got a job as a part 91 baron pilot about 6 months ago through a connection I had. I have flown about 250 hours in that time, and my total time is now around 900. I have a very good relationship with my employer, and they are now talking about upgrading to a King Air 90 and keeping me on as pilot. I know most King Air Captains have MUCH more time than I do, which got me wondering. What is the lowest King Air PIC pilot ever? How often does a situation like this happen? Anyone been in a similar situation or heard of one I would be interested in knowing about it.

Thanks

250 hours in a Baron in 6-months under part 91? I think a lot of people would question the validity of your log book if they saw those kind of numbers for straight part 91 in a Baron.

250 hours in a Baron in 6-months under part 91? I think a lot of people would question the validity of your log book if they saw those kind of numbers for straight part 91 in a Baron.

500 hours in a 12 month period flying a Baron part 91 isn't beyond the realm of possibility at all...and the fact the company is looking to upgrade to a C90 (which is faster than the Baron) lends credence to the fact they realize their current airplane isn't suited for their mission and/or tempo.

I did it it with slightly more time. I had 600 hours in a C-55 Barron. Do not cut any corners on training. I went every 6 months. get a minimum of 25 hours with a mentor whether the insurance requires it or not. Set your personal weather minimums high at first. If the boss tries to push, do not budge. Do not budge on maintenance either. The bills on a King Air are going to be a completely different animal than the Barron, so they may try to cut corners.

I am speaking from experience. I have been down this exact road.Feel free to PM me.

The 90 is a great next step. It is a pleasure to fly and is quite forgiving.

As others have said though, talk to the insurance agent and know the answers in advance. Keep a eye on brokers. Some will tell your boss you are not qualified so that they can get the job for a buddy.

Good Luck!

That's only 40 hours a month. 10, 4 hour trips. What's that in a Baron, 350 miles. Working 10 days a month seems a little light. I'm surprised he hasn't accumulated more time.

I got a job as a part 91 baron pilot about 6 months ago through a connection I had. I have flown about 250 hours in that time, and my total time is now around 900. I have a very good relationship with my employer, and they are now talking about upgrading to a King Air 90 and keeping me on as pilot. I know most King Air Captains have MUCH more time than I do, which got me wondering. What is the lowest King Air PIC pilot ever? How often does a situation like this happen? Anyone been in a similar situation or heard of one I would be interested in knowing about it.

Thanks

Lets see I got my first king air 200 captain gig with around 2300hrs, 700 turbine, 1700 multi. I had been flying MU-2s and citation II, along with all the light twin engine a/c (Baron, Cessna 401/402/310). Also, most of my time was single pilot, except the citation. That was a 135 operation, with a ARGUS gold rating. Not sure if that helps. Also, something to think about is the fact that you only have 900hrs. You might be able to handle the aircraft, but think about the new destinations that will follow with the larger aircraft. Single pilot IFR in the mountains, during a snow storm, not the place for a low time pilot. Not the time to be getting that experience with passengers onboard. You might say "that will never happen to me I won't put my self in that position," well when your job is on the line and the boss is breathing down your neck to go go go; stuff happens. Just my two cents, but I don't know your skill level, I am just referencing me when I had 900hrs.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back