• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lowest Priced Decent Headset for Recips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a 20XL that I sold a couple of years ago. I loved it. I see they have a 20XLc now (upgraded for phone) and it's cheaper than when I bought it.

I had a David Clark 13.4 before that and it really hurt my head. After about 3 hours it was like someone had hit me with a bat. I asked the folks at Oregon Aero if their upgrades would stop this and they said that they thought it would. The ear seals don't cut the blood circulation off around the ears was the explanation they gave. I wonder why DC doesn't buy their upgrades and make them part of the original product since so many people have pain with them.

The oregon aero upgrades help a lot, especially the wide sheepskin pad on top, and the temperfoam ear seals. However, it's still a headclamp, and you'll still end up with jaw pain and some hot spots after a few hours. Just not as bad. My helmet uses their interior with leather covered temperfoam and their earseals...and I still get hotspots and discomfort when wearing it for extended periods.

A lightspeed is going to be a lot more comfortable. They're not nearly as durable as a DC type headset, but they're very comfortable, and they afford better communications because the sound is clearer. If you're like me and have hearing problems based on exposure to airplanes and gunfire and whatnot, then the ANR is a big help in hearing and understanding communications on the radio.

Bose if you can afford it; they're comfortable, but pricey. The newer Lightspeeds are good, less expensive. Otherwise, DC has the best warranty, and if price is the object, get a set of flightcoms and put the oregon aero kits in them.

Thanks Avbug, your posts are always interesting, helpful and informative.

Yes, I'll buy the book. ;)

Last edited:
It occurred to me that my last post might be perceived incorrectly. I am grateful for everyones help and didn't want it to sound like I inferring anything else.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back