• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lowest Priced Decent Headset for Recips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your headset is one area you probably don't want to go cheap.

If you can't afford a good headset, a basic david clark type will work, but I'd at least spring for an Oregon Aero foam hush kit (puts high density foam in the earcups to protect your hearing), better earseals, and headband.

Try ebay, or marvgolden.com.

I agree about the David Clarks(and about not going cheap). The D.C. H10-13.4 (I believe that's how you spell that) are one of the few headsets that I can wear all day and still feel like a human being.

Get the gel ear seals and a flex boom, maybe the soft head pad and you're good to go. I would assume that there are many of these available used, you can buy the ear seals and head pad separately and replace them if you buy a used set.

They will take a beating and work for years. Do it.

Sigtronics s-40 is another one, put the hush kit in there and off you go. I added DC gel seals to mine a long time ago. I used these private through comm and then some (probably about 800 hrs or more) didn't have a problem one with them.

I called Oregon Aero and talked with someone there for a while. Nice, knowledgeable folks. I'm going to get their upgrade when I decide on a headset. Thanks.

I started training with a passive nr Pilot Avionics headset. Once I started flying commercially i upgraded the earseals and headband. Its still more comfortable than my Lightspeed. With upgrades, I spent about $180. Still have it as a spare, and it works great.

I've used my DC 10-30 for 15 years and 3500 hours. Tons of recips and now an MU-2. IT WORKS FINE! WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! BUT IT WORKS FINE! Never had a single problem. Sum total of maintenance has been tightening some screws and replacing the ear seals. I'm sure you could pick one up for a song, if you can still even find them.

Your headset is one area you probably don't want to go cheap.

If you can't afford a good headset, a basic david clark type will work, but I'd at least spring for an Oregon Aero foam hush kit (puts high density foam in the earcups to protect your hearing), better earseals, and headband.

Try ebay, or marvgolden.com.

I used a DC 13.4S for a couple years with a oregon aero kit as you mentioned. Use it as my back up set now since I have a light speed 30-3G would never go back the 13.4 or any other non ANR headset.

Latest resources

Back