• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lowest/Highes paying jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is the truth...get out of this sucky job for a while....make some money at something else doing what you hate....then you will find out why people who leave the industry keep coming to back to post on FI.......cause they miss the job.

Ah yes.....I remember back in the day when I started in this career. Being a pilot was EXCITING and PAID WELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Pharmacist should be on the highest paid list. My brother is about to graduate and on the low side, he'll earn $75k his first year. If he went to the southwest, he could pull nearly $100k his FIRST year out of school.

I agree a friend of mine is going to finish pharm. school in may. He signed a 3 year contract to go to juneau AK for 3 years. They are going to pay for his move give him one months salary and 30 days to make the move and pay him $100,000 BONUS on top of the 58$ an hour (116K) for STARTING pay.

I have my health, family and a few good friends. Everything else is just a bonus! Some of the richest people I know are the most unhappy, the poorest, the happiest.

What a load of rubbish.
First year associates at NYC law firms make $200K their first year out of law school. And some hedge fund managers take home $1 billion+.

What a load of rubbish.
First year associates at NYC law firms make $200K their first year out of law school. And some hedge fund managers take home $1 billion+.

I think those "high-paying" jobs may be jobs that don't require at least a Bachelor's degree...

I think those "high-paying" jobs may be jobs that don't require at least a Bachelor's degree...

Sorry, you're right- I didn't read the post properly.
There was an interesting show here in he U.K. the other night about pay scales and the lowest paying jobs included tele-sales, sewer cleaner and morgue assistant. It's a tough call but I'd rather clean corpses than get into tele-sales.

I once tried to stick up for pilot pay, as not being so bad, but I am beginning to see just how much people can make, outside of aviation. It isn't all peaches and cream, but I know of plenty of people who graduated school with starting salaries of $60K+, in various careers, including some, that just a few years later, are making six figures.

Money is not everything, but the airline industry is just way too unstable, for such low starting pay, and having to spend so much time to reach the better pay. Not to mention, a furlough means starting over, at year one, whereas in other careers, a layoff means getting another job, at the same pay, in most cases, or, using the experience from the previous job, to get a better paying job, than the one before.

You mentioned some of the higher paying jobs, not requiring a degree; what about the ones requiring a degree? Here are some fields, not so much specific jobs, that have high income potential, even from the get go.

Finance - Starting salaries can be on the high end. I've heard of people getting $60K starting salaries in the finance field, and making six figures just a few short years later.

Information Technology - I've seen plenty of $70K+ salaries to start, and many in the $100K+ range, with just a few years experience.

Pharmacy - As mentioned by others, and almost anything medical pays well.

There are many other fields, than just the above. They are just a few that come to mind.

My sister is currently in her first year of pharmacy school. It is a hard curriculum, but she will more than likely start off making at least $80K+, when she graduates.

FWIW, as a customer service agent/ramp rat for a regional airline, I just made my first year mark, in mid December, and made $22K. It is sad that a regional pilot makes that, or not even that, their first year, and for some, even their second year, etc.

I love flying, and it is all I have ever wanted to do. I am sure it is a fun job, and probably beats almost any job, in that category. BUT, sometimes it isn't all about fun, when you are trying to support a family.

As much as I love flying, with the clear instability, and uncertainty that now looms over the airline industry, I am seriously looking at stopping at my instrument rating, for now, which I start work on, next week, getting back in school, and pursuing other careers, whilst watching, and waiting for the dust to settle. As much as I have always dreamed of being a pilot; I think I can honestly say, I have achieved that dream, just not in a career sense. Maybe my dream is just better spent as a hobby, and pursuing a better paying, much more stable career. We will see. Life is full of surprises. I am just glad, that at just 23, I am able to see this clearly, and accept it, rather than being blinded by it all, because of a shiny jet.

If more people at your age had that attitude, this industry wouldnt be as bad as it is today...

Latest resources

Back