Lowering ALPA dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez O. Lewshun said:
The avg. Airline Pilot will demand higher tickets prices only to shop at Wal Mart.

Of course, do you expect passengers to go to travelocity and ignore the cheapest ticket because the price is too low?
If the ticket prices were all higher, people would still buy them, trying to get the best price of course. If Walmart were to raise their prices, people would still look for the cheapest place to buy their stuff. Walmart also offers better variety than most other stores, so that's a good reason to buy there.

Back to your normal schedule, just had to vent about that comment...

iflyhigh said:
I was just talking to a captain about DW taking a paycut.

Funny how most ALPA members have been taking a paycuts since 2001, some in the range of 50% plus, and DW was not taken a dime of a cut. All the councils are cutting expenses and trying to keep costs down, due to less dues coming in.

Is it not time that DW take a cut too. With less money coming in, and NWA looking at another paycut, I do believe its time DW start suffering like his members, maybe then he might understand what is going on in this industry. The extra money from his paycheck could go to other worthy causes within the union.

Just my two cents.

Name your source. DW gets his salary based on his NWA CBA. Or he gets an avg of the three highest ALPA pay rates. When the NWA pilots negotiate thier cut he will most likely switch to the Three avg. But of course you know this because you educated yourself by logging off of FI for five minutes and read the ALPA C&BL and the Admin Manual.

This thread is the same ol same ol. YAWN. Blah blah. Another sheep in the herd overheard some Clown Pilot.

ALPA has significantly reduced its operation to ac******************** for the less dues money coming in. One could justify an INCREASE in dues if ALPA were to maintian its level of performance.

One reason why so many pilots are disastified with ALPA is thier expectations aren't being met.....

But who is to say those expectations are correct?

iflyhigh said:
I was just talking to a captain about DW taking a paycut.

Funny how most ALPA members have been taking a paycuts since 2001, some in the range of 50% plus, and DW was not taken a dime of a cut. All the councils are cutting expenses and trying to keep costs down, due to less dues coming in.

Is it not time that DW take a cut too. With less money coming in, and NWA looking at another paycut, I do believe its time DW start suffering like his members, maybe then he might understand what is going on in this industry. The extra money from his paycheck could go to other worthy causes within the union.

Just my two cents.

Not too much two cents can get you...

DW salary is based upon the NWA CBA. The other way his salary can be calculated is the avg of the three highest CBA's. When NWA ALPA agrees to a cut he can switch to the three avg.

Where is everyone getting the fact that the ALPA National haven't felt pain? Your sources? Please don't say the crewroom and cockpits or some sensational article in Readers Digest? I don't suppose anyone has taken the time to log off FI and read the ALPA C&BL and Admin Manual?

Anyone? Anyone? (ddin't think so)....

Funny how when someone feels pain they have to make sure someone else feels pain too..... I'm not unhappy until you are unhappy. Says more about the posters hear than ALPA National, me thinks....

So lets make ALPA even more ineffective. But you already say that ALPA suxs... Well, do they?

Maybe your expectations are misguided. Maybe if you know how the system works, you would give the only organization that represents you more credit.

I know, I know, you don't feel ALPA represents you.....

Get educated.

Its hard to learn when Sheep have thier head hung low, staring at everyone elses hooves.....

Inconceivable said:
ALPA brought CAL back into the fold, no questions asked, because they needed to replace the revenue lost by the 9/11 furloughs.

They weren't exactly secretive about it.
Well see the funny thing is CAL voted in ALPA in the Spring of 2001 and the lobbying campaign began many months before that. So are you saying ALPA had advance notification of the 9/11 attacks or are you just clueless?

posted by Rez
I know, I know, you don't feel ALPA represents you.....

Get educated.

The TWA pilots are plenty educated on the benefits of belonging to alpa.
You're big on cheerleading for alpa while disparaging others for having high expectations. My question to you would be why are your expectations so low.
Frankly some of us are worth more.

pylut said:
posted by Rez

The TWA pilots are plenty educated on the benefits of belonging to alpa.
You're big on cheerleading for alpa while disparaging others for having high expectations. My question to you would be why are your expectations so low.
Frankly some of us are worth more.

I have high expectations, but they lie more in the individual pilot. ALPA is a resource not a service. When you don't give a crap about the very and only organization that represents you and then cry foul when it doesn't live up to your expectations.. there is a disconnect.

Many say ALPA should make a stand! Stand Up for the profession! Like??? the AMFA? Its kinda difficult to stand up for the profession when you are locked out and no longer invited to the table.

I am not necesarrily big on cheerleading ALPA. Although I'll take that label cause most are going to stick on me regradless... I am big on increasing our effectiveness as a group of pilots. Whether the name is ALPA or whatever....

Ok... So ALPA is a political organization. Has the US Gov't ever screwed its citizens? Are we the poor minorites and is ALPA The Man? Are such screwed citizens denoucing thier US citizenship? Running to other countries? Save that for the Hollywood Elite and France!

My understanding of the TWA deal was the airline was going to go under. AMR buys it. Acquires it. How is ALPA going to make (one of the most anti union managments in airline history) give a fair intergration of pilot sen list? The APA isn't ALPA so merger policy didn't apply. How was ALPA, who isn't even the recognized bargaining agent at AMR, going to tell Carty what to do?

I'm sure the TWA guys will chime in and this will quickly turn into a TWA thread. And if you have level headed education please share it. I'm all for (bitterless) information.

And I am not saying the TWA guys didn't get screwed... but what is the real deal here. Were expectations realisitc? What should have ALPA done. What did they fail to do? [that ALPA could have done..realistically and pragmatically]

And what is the solution? To fold our arms, grumble and say ALPA is corrupt and leave it at that? Then we are nothing but a bunch of powerless inner city mexicans.

REVOLUTION!!!!!

Let's all meet downtown DC. FFDO's too! We'll storm the ALPA building and drag Duane and his corrupt cronies out into the streets with thier high salaries, plush retirements and perks! We'll drag them by their heels behind our Caddy Escalades in front of our beloved GWB and the White House. ALPA Anarachy Reigns!!!!

Meanwhile I'll go back to reading the most expensive trade magazine in history....

Last edited:
Yeah...I think his name was Duane ,or something like that!;)

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back