Lowering ALPA dues

ThisistheDream

Total Time
With all these major paycuts coming or already here any chance ALPA could help us out by lowering the dues a bit??? Maybe go to 1.00 or 1.50 percent vs. 2.00???? for some captains it could save around 150-300 dollars a month and FO 25-100 bucks a month??? It would be nice if we could have lower dues at least while our airline is in bankruptcy. Any chance this could happen??With all the paycuts we HAVE to take, we HAVE to find ways to help supplement our income. The airlines say they are bankrupt and they go to the most extreme to take as much as they can, take and take to survive so they say. Well I feel that if they are bankrupt then I must live and act like I am bankrupt saving money in anyway possible, since they are taking money away. I see alot less of tipping van drivers coming in the near future, no more biggie size meals and using more coupons.

Last edited:

PCL_128

Total Time
5000+
You've got to be kidding me. ALPA National and most councils are already cutting expenses like mad because of several years of declining dues, and you want to reduce them? ALPA would completely cease to function if dues were cut to 1%.

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
yes that would be nice, last i saw the lowest paid national position paid 121,000/year. DW himself rakes in over 400,000 year.

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
Since your dues are calculated as a percentage of your pay, a decrease in your pay means there is a decrease in your dues.

If you're unhappy with any of the policies of ALPA, you are free to propose a resolution at your LEC meeting. Your voice can only be heard if you speak up, and complaining on FlightInfo about it doesn't count. Put it to a vote!

:)

ThisistheDream

Total Time
A decrease in pay is a decrease in take home pay, and still paying 2.00 union dues. All I am saying is a slight decrease in union dues percentage for a short time while in Bankruptcy would help out alot for the ones that need it!!!!!! ALPA is not going to shut down becuase of a small short term percentage drop for pilots that are in bankruptcy..

CLE145CA

Total Time
By that logic then, since small-jet carrier pilots make so much less than large-jet carrier pilots, especially in the first few years, maybe they shouldn't pay 1.95% even in the good times. Yeah, that's it! Small-jet pilots pay .95% to ALPA and large-jet pilots pay 2.95% in dues. I mean since small-jet pilots are "struggling to make ends meet in difficult times" (i.e. all the time) then this ALPA-sponsored welfare is just the solution.

Oh, yeah, one flaw in my logic: mainline carrier pay cuts over the past few years have brought pay down so much it is blurring the line between small-jet and large-jet pay.

As was said before, while the percentage stays the same a pay cut also equals a dues cut. ALPA is under financial pressures, too. It is doing all it can do reduce overhead and costs while still providing its membership with the resources needed to assist in minimizing the concessionary damage.

avrodriverj85

Total Time
9000+
Duane Woerthless is no different then his boss at NWA asking for $20 million in bonuses for execs to "retain talent".

FreightNazi

not an ACMI
Total Time
lots
You regional guys bitch about ALPA favoring the majors. They favor them because they bring in more dues to ALPA. So if you want equal representation form ALPA you must bring in the same amount or more of dues that a majors pilot group brings in. And since the regionals are typically smaller in number of pilots and make less money than the majors, the regionals dues should be HIGHER than the majors to make up for the difference!

fletch717

Total Time
where
ALPA has lowered their dues........... furloughs

Pedro

Not too happy...
Total Time
$$$$$$
TonyC said:
Your voice can only be heard if you speak up, and complaining on FlightInfo about it doesn't count. Put it to a vote!

:)

What? And all this timeI thought I was up to something!!

iflyhigh

Total Time
I was just talking to a captain about DW taking a paycut.

Funny how most ALPA members have been taking a paycuts since 2001, some in the range of 50% plus, and DW was not taken a dime of a cut. All the councils are cutting expenses and trying to keep costs down, due to less dues coming in.

Is it not time that DW take a cut too. With less money coming in, and NWA looking at another paycut, I do believe its time DW start suffering like his members, maybe then he might understand what is going on in this industry. The extra money from his paycheck could go to other worthy causes within the union.

Just my two cents.

pylut

Total Time
7000hr
ALPA would completely cease to function if dues were cut to 1%.

I would argue that alpa has already completely ceased to function.

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
Total Time
10000+
Just checked my paycheck dated 9/30, and by no means do I think I'm bragging.

Gross Pay YTD: $75,000
ALPA Dues YTD: $1,361
Medicare Tax YTD: $1,093.

Hmmm.

Doesn't represent the 9% raise I didn't get last year and/or the 48% paycut since Jan. 1, or the displacement May 1.

Regionals pay enough since ALPA or any other union is doing less than nothing for them. Never have never will.

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
Total Time
enough
I dare ALPA to get rid of agency shop. They would cease to exist in a heartbeat.

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
Saabslime said:
I dare ALPA to get rid of agency shop. They would cease to exist in a heartbeat.
I dare you to educate yourself before you embarrass yourself anymore. Take it to your LEC, and bring it up for a vote.

FedEx ALPA is not agency shop.

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
Total Time
enough
Hey butt-hole, my point was if agency shop weren't the norm I think membership would drop to the point where it would be financially impossible for ALPA to exist in the form it is today. Certainly not to the point where Worthless and his cronies could take home the exorbitant salaries they enjoy . And for what? So they can blow more smoke up our collective arses about how we need to stand together in these tough times and everything will end up just peachy. Well kumbaya, their lack of direction, leadership, and beating on the war drum has gotten us real far now hasn't it? You can keep the medical and legal services. For what I've paid into the system thus far I could have easily paid for those myself had I needed them. ALPA will never be a real union with any leverage until we get a national pay structure and seniority list in place. Until then all we are is a bunch of individual units using one central resource. If the cost of membership were really worth the supposed "benefits", there wouldn't be a need for agency shop. Nothing but legalized extortion in my book.:mad:

Total Time
ALPA brought CAL back into the fold, no questions asked, because they needed to replace the revenue lost by the 9/11 furloughs.

They weren't exactly secretive about it.

Empennage

Total Time
10k+
FreightNazi said:
You regional guys bitch about ALPA favoring the majors. They favor them because they bring in more dues to ALPA. So if you want equal representation form ALPA you must bring in the same amount or more of dues that a majors pilot group brings in. And since the regionals are typically smaller in number of pilots and make less money than the majors, the regionals dues should be HIGHER than the majors to make up for the difference!
I have to agreee with you on your statement.

However- ALPA, as it should be, is a wieghted system. Most major carriers are listed as Group A carriers and given their OWN Executive Vice President to represent them (not only, but) at the Exec Council.

Smaller carriers are grouped into B/C carriers and then into sub groups having to share votes.

So yes, major pilots contribute more, but also get a louder voice (which they should)!!! So if you are a regional pilot, please do not complain. Go check and see what the OCF is.