Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sat74

Been hearing different takes on this:

The Jepp says takeoff mins are 2400 rvr. You have ops specs that allow 600. Can you takeoff?

If there are takeoff mins published, then you gotta follow them. If there wasn't anything on the Jepp, then you could do the 600 rvr takeoff, assuming it meets all of the requirements of your ops spec. Center-line lights, HIRL etc...

If there are takeoff mins published, then you gotta follow them.

Depends entirely on what your specific Ops Specs and/or MSpecs say. They are controlling. Mine say that higher-than-standard mins on the chart must be followed, but for lower-than-standard, I'm given a table to work out my own takeoff mins.

Depends entirely on what your specific Ops Specs and/or MSpecs say. They are controlling. Mine say that higher-than-standard mins on the chart must be followed, but for lower-than-standard, I'm given a table to work out my own takeoff mins.

Ding Ding!

So if the chart says 2400 for takeoff, that is controlling vs your ops specs that allow for 600?

Just to be clear, this is a runway requirement you are looking at, or one for a SID off that runway?

The ops specs are the same for any airline( C078 ). In order for you to use 600RVR (500 in Canada) there is certain equipment required. ie:HIRL, CL .... If the runway doesn't have all of this then the Jepp plate will say something higher like 1600RVR because there isn't any CL lights or HIRL.

You didn't mention if what are flying with how many engines. Standard minimums for two engines or less is 1 mile or 5000' rvr, under part 135. two engines or more is 1/2 mile or 2400' rvr. In my ops specs (c079) it specifies exactly under what conditions you can takeoff in less than standard, which for me is 1mile since I fly two engines. I can go as low as 600' rvr if I can meet the conditions under C079.

Under part 91 as I recall you can takeoff with zero if you are crazy enough to do it.

You didn't mention if what are flying with how many engines. Standard minimums for two engines or less is 1 mile or 5000' rvr, under part 135. two engines or more is 1/2 mile or 2400' rvr. In my ops specs (c079) it specifies exactly under what conditions you can takeoff in less than standard, which for me is 1mile since I fly two engines. I can go as low as 600' rvr if I can meet the conditions under C079.

Under part 91 as I recall you can takeoff with zero if you are crazy enough to do it.

So what would one do if you HAVE two engines? Flip a quarter to pick which std mins to follow?

Latest resources

Back