Low TT with Turbine time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cmdr Taggart

After sending applications out to just about everybody and hearing nothing, I decided to investigate. I have 1300TT with 700 multi, a college degree, 4 years active duty as a Marine officer (grunt) but alas no turbine time, hence no job. I look around and see people on this board and the aviation interview board that list 1000tt and aircraft flown, 1900D. These seem to be the people getting calls for interviews. I have flown in the back of a 1900, six years ago from Roswell to ABQ, does that count? How do these people get turbine time? Do they have a rich father? Or is it Gulfstream? I am not trying to get a PFT debate going again, but it most likely will, I am just frustrated and trying to find out who else is in the same boat I am in. Well I am off to teach my favorite student stalls agian.

Keep in mind

Keep in mind that last year, many regionals were hiring folks with 700tt to put right seat in 1900's. Obviously this isn't necessarily the case today. Once again, it's more important who knows you. For example, I know a guy who got hired 4 months ago at 250tt to fly right seat in a Learjet. Yes, networking was a major part. Hey, I'm still teaching too, but mostly by choice at this point. As an instructor, you are in a fantastic position to network and find the people who will get you the next job. Hang in there and keep a positive attitude. Your next student may have just the right connections to help you out. Hiring will improve. Get your flight time up now and focus on being a great instructor. You will be recognized :)

Another couple examples.

I'm an example of low TT but high turbine time, as are a lot of former military types. Of my total time, all but 30 hours is in turbine aircraft, either helicopter or fixed wing. The army doesn't use any piston aircraft at all except for a brief stint you get in the fixed wing transition.

Another way you get low time turbine pilots are with people who paid for their flight training at some of those schools that have connections with regionals. The example I know about is the San Juan program in Farmington NM that feeds Mesa. These guys pay out big bucks to get their ratings and when they graduate the course they are guaranteed an interview with Mesa. This isn't a guarantee that they get a job, but the odds are pretty good. This means that you can have a pilot with as little as 300 hours flying right seat on a Be-1900 or even an RJ in a 121 operations. I know guys who've done it.

Of course these folks were all hired pre 9/11. Right now it's a whole different story.

I only have a little over 1200 and about 225 multi. I realize that a year or two ago I would have been choosing which airline I want to work for. (with your time, you would too, even more than me probably). Obviously things have changed a bit, but not forever. Do you live anywhere near any Part 135 jobs? I never thought that I would go that route, but if it gets me to the next level, it sounds great. I just got hired with one. I know a couple of guys that fly for the one that hired me. I sent them a resume, along with them recommending me, I got a call, interviewed and have just gone through the ground school. Next week, I should be doing the flight training and checkride. I hope to be on line in a couple of weeks. I am so happy and feel so lucky to have been hired for this job. I'll either be flying a C-402, or a PA-31-350. Try to find a 135 job if you can. I assume you have all the 135 minimums. It will keep you competitive when the airline hiring starts back up, and if you are tired of instructing, it'll be a good break too. Good luck.

I had my first turbine job when I had about 800 hrs. Just flying part time contract in a Hawker. I then applied for a full time Hawker FO job when I had about 50 hrs turbine time. I was actually shocked I got the job as I didnt think my experience was very competitive.

Next thing I knew I was getting typed in a Westwind at 1500 hrs and was a Captain by 1900 hrs TT. This all took about a year and the only multi time I had was from getting the rating.

I see plenty of new guys coming into our company with low time and zero turbine time starting out as SICs in the Lears. I think having low time can be an advantage. At least in places where I have worked they like lower time guys since they will probably stick around for a while. I think the key is to be persistent and network.

You dont need to PFT but a good alternative may be to get a Citation or Lear type rating and start doing contract work. Paying for a certificate or rating isnt the same thing as paying a company for some worthless training that they profit from. You can do your ATP and 135 checkrides at the same time.

Tag-
With your time there should be absolutely no reason "why" you can't latch on to either a 135 or 121 outfit- I would definately attempt to get on with Colgan (Airways Express) since they have and still do hire relatively low time pilots for the right seat of the 1900- It is not unusual that new hires are in the 450-900 TT mark.
I did hear awhile back that they have been short on F.O's although dunno if that is still the case however it is still worth a shot since it would be "quality" 121 time.- Great Lakes (GLA) is another carrier in which alot of "experience" is gained due to there route structure, very sharp pilots there however since Pomeroy moved on I am unsure what their hiring trends have been BUT not long ago they also hired relatively low time pilots. 135 is 135 however it does appear that to get to a major one is going to need prior 121 time so instead of going 135 to 121 then to the "major" IF I was in your position I would "attempt" to go 121 right away-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

Turbine time

The turbine time isn't that big an issue. Multi PIC is more important. You have good quals, especially your multi time. Not that anyone should P-F-T, you don't need to with your times. Keep applying, and updating. Get your ATP when you hit those times. I've read that Comair is hiring. Some others may be as well. Keep flying and building experience. To be flying actively and for a living is important. I think you'll get some calls if you keep working at it.

I understand how you feel about people with lower times than you being hired. Probably some of them were surfing the crest of the last hiring boom. They wouldn't have a change now, with hiring having slowed down.

I agree with the others that you should try to use your contacts. Try hand-carrying materials to places when you have the opportunity.

Hang in. Good luck with taking the next step.

Commander,

You are in a good position with your flight times. You should just keep sending resumes to the companies you would'nt mind flying for,and be patient. Send the resumes Daily/weekly!!! Make them call you for an interview just to stop the flow of paper. They might call you to tell you to stop,and that is also good. Take that opportunity to ask questions about their company.

They may not be hiring right now, but many are building a sizable pool in anticipation of large RJ orders.

As far as PFT is concerned I would'nt recommend it. The company I fly for is doing the PFT thing for low timers, and it is a sore subject with our pilot group since about 50% of our pilot group paid for their job. I do believe the policy with your flight times is a payback over 3 years. I am not sure how everyone feels about the PFT money being paid back over a period of time, but I would just recommend you get the extra 200 flight hours(flight instructing) needed to not have to PFT in any form. The minimums here are 1500 and 200 multi to not have to PFT.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Bobby

Bobby,

Saying that it is only multi and turbine does not count much is not really what I find today. Yes the multi is important but multi turbine pic is golden.

Turbine time

Of course, Pub, turbine is golden. For sure, turbine doesn't grow on trees. I was just opining on the poster's quals, that even without turbine time he has good qualifications, especially multi, and, before long, he should be getting interviews.

Latest resources

Back