• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Time Pilot, help?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do so many pople think that a Commercial certificate with wet ink entitles them to a job that they really are not ready for?
Before you guys start the "well the military..." BS argument, look at the selection and trainin process the military uss, as well as the fairly high accident / incident rates they have. 3 F-16 crashes in AZ alone lat year, the C17, the C5, need I go on?

Not to mention just about the only time you see/hear these guys flying around is on 10sm CLR days. If you live next to a base, you know what I mean.

the fairly high accident / incident rates they have. 3 F-16 crashes in AZ alone lat year, the C17, the C5, need I go on?

High accident rates in the military are more a function of the "type" of flying than low time pilots or whatever else you're implying.

Flying 50 feet off the deck, at night, on goggles, in formation, wearing 50 pounds of flight gear, while manageing multiple weapons systems, is a little different than flying an airliner on auto-pilot from one 10,000 foot runway to another 10K runway. You don't have quite as many opportunities to screw up, (one of the reasons it's the safest form of travel).

Why do so many pople think that a Commercial certificate with wet ink entitles them to a job that they really are not ready for?

Because the regionals are willing to hire at that amount of time. And if they can get through training, the company will put them out on line. The only thing that will change that is a dramatic increase in CFI pay or a FAA reg mandating a minimum number of hours to fly right seat 121.

A lot of what these guys are saying is right in a lot of ways. Surely this guy will do better having 1200-1500TT with 500 PIC and some real intrument time to be "experienced" enough to be a real asset somewhere. His instructor is encouraging him to apply, so perhaps he has a lot on the ball. I also agree the Instructor time will teach him what he really knows and give him some valuable experience. Let's not just hammer the guy for being excited and chomping at the bits. Remember we were all there once and thought we were better than we really were. I thought I was the "right stuff" with 300 hours TT, carrier landings, and a set of Navy wings on my chest. I know better now. This guy could get a lot of experience yanking gear and getting 100 hours a month next to some seasoned guys. I know that's when I really started learning. I still wish him luck.

High accident rates in the military are more a function of the "type" of flying than low time pilots or whatever else you're implying.

Flying 50 feet off the deck, at night, on goggles, in formation, wearing 50 pounds of flight gear, while manageing multiple weapons systems, is a little different than flying an airliner on auto-pilot from one 10,000 foot runway to another 10K runway. You don't have quite as many opportunities to screw up, (one of the reasons it's the safest form of travel).
I won't argue wih you there, and what I said was in no way a shot at the military guys. But the C5 accident, the C17 wing digging on landings, there are enough of those types of accidents too.
The point I am making is for those who try to say that just because 200-hour pilots fly in the military does not mean that a 250 hour civvy pilot is a good idea. Perhaps if the training on the civvy side was more like the military I would be a little more accepting. But then what would the kids do with their hairstyles and iPods?

The point I am making is for those who try to say that just because 200-hour pilots fly in the military does not mean that a 250 hour civvy pilot is a good idea. Perhaps if the training on the civvy side was more like the military I would be a little more accepting. But then what would the kids do with their hairstyles and iPods?

Agree.

BE CAREFUL!

Even though you might get hired, you still have to make it through training. As previously mentioned, ALOT of low timers are getting booted out. If you fail out of a 121 school, you will not get hired by another 121 carrier.

If you are not an extremely proficient 255/15 pilot (odds aren't in your favor), I would try your luck at other commercial flying endeavors first.

The problem is so many of these ticket schools convincing these guys that they ARE such great pilots that they don't think there's anything for them to learn....
Case in Point:
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=101534

Easy there. My degree wasn't from a top notch university, and my knowledge base wasn't second to none, and I had the same problem. It takes practice to be a good instructor, and this guy probably just hasn't had enough of it yet. In fact, I think I still struggle with this with some students, and my pass/fail record is good enough to get the gold seal. And also your success as an instructor has a lot to do with the student's abilities and motivation level, not just your ability to present the material.

If this guy is guilty of anything, it's that he's not realizing that flight instructing is a separate skill from flying in general; you could be a wonderful pilot, but a horrible instructor. Just my take anyway. The fact that this guy would post a thread asking for suggestions shows that he actually gives a crap. He's one of the good ones. A lot of guys I've seen don't even care whether they do a good job of instructing or not, they just want the time.

-Goose

Last edited:
Back off man, i'm just trying to get answers to my questions. Sorry i don't have 6000 hours and know all the answers, way back when you were in the same boat as me. thanks for the help...i plan on getting more time

Ignore guys like him on this board. Noting his profile, I'd say he isn't too far removed from being one of those "low time kids".

It is my belief that you will learn a lot more in a thousand hours in the right seat, than you will flying one hour a thousand times in the pattern with your hands in your lap.

That said, get as much time as you can now, apply at the carriers who will consider you, and take your airline specific training very seriously.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back