• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low level routes out west? (best of?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your going in a Goshawk from Kingsville you'll need a ton of legs to get up to Whidbey to do the VR-1355. The VR-1266, VR-1267 out of El Centro are good, and the VR-289 that starts North of Twenty Nine palms is not a bad way to get from Phoenix to El Centro. You can also fly the IR-217 as a low level and get a good look at the Road Recce route if your are going to be doing R/R's out of El Centro. The VR-233 out of Phoenix is good as well.

Last edited:
Hello,
Anything in the Dixie Valley is awesome flying. Although, I would have to say that it's alot different in a helicopter than a high-speed jet! If you are in the Navy than you'll get all the Dixie Valley you want when you go up there for your CVW det prior to deployment. Here in Virginia there are some pretty good routes through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Boris ;)

Someone threw out the idea of partying it up in Austin TX for the weekend, any good low lever routhes out there in TX?

SIG600 said:
Boris ;)

Someone threw out the idea of partying it up in Austin TX for the weekend, any good low lever routhes out there in TX?

Yes, but they're not published, and we get a lot of angry calls from the non-flyers on lake Travis.;)

See, every time some MD-80 taxis by and asks "What are all those F-18s/F16s/T45s etc doing on the Signature ramp?" And I say: "I suppose they're partying down on 6th street." Nobody ever believes me....:p

There are no good routes in South Texas at all. Too flat with too many birds, but Austin is a great party town. If you have some AN's or IR's it's not a bad stopover.

SIG600 said:
Is that the one they call the Star Wars run?

I thought that IR-126A was that one? Starts out in New Mexico, crosses the Painted Desert, ends just east of the NTTR. It's owned by Barksdale, IIRC.

There's a few really cool ones near Luke in Pheonix. The best one that I can think of is currently on fire, VR-241. VR-223 is awesome though too and so is VR-231. Both go through some really cool terrain and have some good ridge crossings. I don't know what the availability would look like for flying them though. You'd probably have to be pretty flexable.

Vector4fun said:
See, every time some MD-80 taxis by and asks "What are all those F-18s/F16s/T45s etc doing on the Signature ramp?" And I say: "I suppose they're partying down on 6th street." Nobody ever believes me....:p

You are correct, sir...that's EXACTLY what we're doing.

Don't forget the special military rate at the Driskill... Such a great deal.

Thanks for the advice guys... gonna run 1266 and 1268, can't wait! Also one on the west side of NM, can't remember which one, and one out of Ft. Smith AK, 189 I believe which is supposed to be good. Gonna be a long weekend of flying, hope to snap some good pictures.

Latest resources

Back