Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

Guys,
We're putting together a weekend trip with some guys from my squadron to get some low level training in, and we're discussing where to go, and where the best low level routes are. Everyone seems to wanna go to Colorado or Arizona, any suggestions? Spectacular routes?
Sig

Oh ya, close to a good party town too!

SIG600 said:
Guys,
We're putting together a weekend trip with some guys from my squadron to get some low level training in, and we're discussing where to go, and where the best low level routes are. Everyone seems to wanna go to Colorado or Arizona, any suggestions? Spectacular routes?
Sig

Oh ya, close to a good party town too!

I can say I've seen more than a few of you guys go below me while flying around Northern Arizona. Seems like a rather common occurence. There are(or at least were, havent checked today) a few TFRs out around though for forest fires, so those may affect your MTRs.

Some of those guys stop here in PRC, but I don't think it really qualifies as a good party town. (Unless you're 62!) You could try Flagstaff, but I honestly don't know much about up there.

Hope the info helps.....what are you guys flying? T45?

If you're passing through ABQ, try VR-176. It begins about 45 miles west of ABQ, and covers much of southwestern New Mexico. It's up to 40 NM wide in some points, so it's like having a low-level MOA. It also has multiple alternate entry/exit points, which is nice for planning purposes. It covers some pretty isolated and rugged parts of the southern Rockies. I believe the NM ANG owns the route, so call them prior to a weekend to book it.

There are some nice IR routes in northern NM, mostly owned by the 27 FW at Cannon AFB. They also cover some really high terrain, but the routes tend to be narrow.

I haven't flown much in AZ. I've flown some nice low-levels behind Pike's Peak and down past the Sangre de Cristo range in southern CO. These routes are owned by the CO ANG at Buckley AFB. They may be closed due to noise complaints, but if you can get on them, they are great.

Cheers

IR-1266. Fly it out of Yuma. Cool topo, the chance to go below sea level, and some neat "targets".

Yuma has a couple of excellent Mexican food places. Chretin's (on 15th) is an military aviation shrine. Best margaritas on the solar system! Joe is gone now, but if you call them, they'll come pick you up and drop you off. (928) 782-1291

The VR-288 is a nice route too, even though I may have gotten "lost" on it when I was going through VMFAT-101.

VR-1266 near El Centro / Yuma. At point C you can get in the canyon and have the walls above you on both sides. 5000' drop off after a ridge crossing right after flying over the Salton Sea. Good place to invert and pull! Look out for gliders near point F after coming over the ridge line. Good flying though!

Also VR-1355 near Whidby Island WA. Lots of ridge crossings and great views.

rhinodriver said:
VR-1266 near El Centro / Yuma. At point C you can get in the canyon and have the walls above you on both sides.

Is that the one they call the Star Wars run?

Man, you youngsters REALLY know how to crush an old man's spirits!! ;-)

SIG600 said:
Is that the one they call the Star Wars run?

Yes. The entrance to the canyon is not actually right at point C. You have to go northeast and look for the second looking canyon entrance. You can kind of see it on a TPC. You go in and it turns right - left - then right again (if I remember correctly) with increasing G required. It's not too high so you can always spill out of it above. You can also chase the crazies living in thier little compounds and cooking meth out in desert around (not that I would ever do that).

You gotta do the VR-1355 up in WA. Hands down one of the best low levels in the U.S. You'll know why after flying it...

VR 1250, VR 1261, IR 207(?): all scheduled through Fallon. Takeoff from Mather, Travis or Beale, and hit these. You'll get some gorgeous flying. I've flown some of the others, and these are worthy too. You'll start on the east side of the Sierra, and go over and across them, with an alternate exit point just before entering the Fallon range. Then, you can cancel, and rage around VFR before landing at Reno, SUU, MHR, BAB, etc.... Lake Tahoe, Squaw Valley,... very nice.

Latest resources

Back