Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Love Field operating in the Red. Who's fault is that? Not SWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flopgut said:
I mean come on, are you kidding me? $.35 vs. $8+ dollars! That's ridiculous. I hope they start pulling your nuts off over this. You deserve it.

It's $.35 per 1,000 at DAL ($3.50 per 10,000) vs. $4.35 per 10,000 for signatory carriers at DFW.

In the context of today's debate, one can ask: Did Dallas need to build DFW in the first place? Looking back, all the airport has done is cause problems and be expensive, and it continues today. The unequitable distribution of airport costs revealed in this thread is highway robbery. It is a "big picture" symptom of what ails this business now. I hope they fix it, quickly. If they find any evidence of wrongdoing (which we all know does exist) I think they should consider levying a windfall profits tax on SWA earnings during the time this airport costs disparity was in place.

If DFW had not been built, Braniff might still be gone. Harding Lawrence was convinced deregulation would not work. So as soon as he could, he expanded Braniff operations exponentially. 118 new worldwide destinations almost overnight. My thesis is this: he may still be right! Just off by three+ decades. You have to ask yourself if deregulation was a good thing when we replaced this airline: braniffpages.com with Southwest airlines? I think we are going the wrong direction. Now, what would SWA look like if we had never built DFW?

Ivauir, why is so difficult for you to tolerate a bit of hyperbole in your debates? You are more worried about being slighted than what the gist of the discussion is. I'll try to tone it down some, but do you think you might be a little oversensitive?

Ygbsm

Flopgut said:
In the context of today's debate, one can ask: Did Dallas need to build DFW in the first place? NO Looking back, all the airport has done is cause problems and be expensive, and it continues today. I agree. The unequitable distribution of airport costs revealed in this thread is highway robbery. But whom is to blame if, if it is true? It is a "big picture" symptom of what ails this business now. I hope they fix it, quickly. If they find any evidence of wrongdoing (which we all know does exist) I hear black helicopters again... I think they should consider levying a windfall profits tax on SWA earningsduring the time this airport costs disparity was in place. Because why? supposition and inuendo? What facts do you have?

If DFW had not been built, woulda Braniff might still be gone. coulda Harding Lawrence was convinced deregulation would not work. So as soon as he could, he expanded Braniff operations exponentially. 118 new worldwide destinations almost overnight. Oh yes, thats SWA's fault, now i follow your logic, it's all SWA's fault! fault. My thesis is this: he may still be right! Just off by three+ decades. You have to ask yourself if deregulation was a good thing when we replaced this airline: braniffpages.com with Southwest airlines? Yes I think we are going the wrong direction. I don't. Now, what would SWA look like if we had never built DFW? Shoulda. Shoulda never built DFW, now your talking!! But we will never know, here and now baby, let the past go. Let the WA fall, as it is, slowly if not surely. There is enough market out there for all to survive. Funny how the AA CEO said they would not come to LUV if it didn't make money, yet when we say it about moving to DFW, we get slammed.

Ivauir, why is so difficult for you to tolerate a bit of hyperbole in your debates? You are more worried about being slighted than what the gist of the discussion is. I'll try to tone it down some, but do you think you might be a little oversensitive?

Flopgut said:
In the context of today's debate, one can ask: Did Dallas need to build DFW in the first place?

In 1969, no... unless you consider the runway length issue. By 1999, O&D demand for the region was such that they would have been looking for a new site and planning a new replacement airport today more on par with Denver. Then again, the economic gains from DFW may never have been realized leaving Dallas a bit smaller. Some call it not needed, I call it having foresight to deal with a problem 30 years in advance. A lot of other cities should have had such foresight, maybe we wouldn't have this box of bandaids we call aviation infrastructure.

As for the status of WN, they probably woudl have been absorbed long ago. DAL remaining open did much to protect WN.

Last edited:
Flopgut you like to compare us to WalMart a lot, yet there is very little comparison, Microsoft would be a much better choice. Second, based on your anger you flew for Braniff 1, if not then your opion means little because your facts are slanted. I bet you own a dog named SWA and kick it each day.

OffHot said:
Flopgut you like to compare us to WalMart a lot, yet there is very little comparison, Microsoft would be a much better choice. Second, based on your anger you flew for Braniff 1, if not then your opion means little because your facts are slanted. I bet you own a dog named SWA and kick it each day.

Be real man. Microsoft? Microsoft serves averyone, you only serve a select few with enough pax demand. Microsoft... That's funny. Self re-invention is beautiful.

Signed,

PSA

Walmart pays low and has little benifits. Puts mom and pop out of business and has a major influence overseas. Just like SWA hey. Dispatcher hey, you better fear Microsoft they can do your job cheaper and faster!

Flopgut,
A-Lot of us would be in much better shape if Braniff was still around, but they are not. We must move on. SWA had very little to do with their demise. De-Regulation had the most to do with it. They were part of the "deal" back in '68. I miss the flying colors of Braniff, I had family there.

OffHot said:
Walmart pays low and has little benifits. Puts mom and pop out of business and has a major influence overseas. Just like SWA hey. Dispatcher hey, you better fear Microsoft they can do your job cheaper and faster!

Southwest charges too little, serves only large markets and puts every other airline in a financial wreck by saturating the major trunk routes.

Skyboss said:
Southwest charges too little, serves only large markets and puts every other airline in a financial wreck by saturating the major trunk routes.

OK Mr MBA, you have made it apperent with this comment that you do not know what you are talking about. Charges to little---yet makes a profit, fuel hedges right, Serves only large markets, Midland, Spokane, Tuson, Lubbock, SWA puts other airlines in a financial wreck, the other airlines make their own decissions, SWA doesn't sit on their board. What AA or UAL does is based hopefully on a sound business plan. The airline business is not a zero-sum gain, create a product that people want and you will draw new customers and even some from other airlines. My point about Microsoft is that we don't have the most desired product, JBLU, AA etc are very nice airlines just like Apple is to the computer industry, so why then is Microsoft so popular: I'll save you the headache, they are masters of marketing, just like SWA has done along with sound business decissions (keeps costs low). We compete, AA competes, Braniff could not compete in a deregulated enviornment, so they are gone. It's great that you enjoy your airline, but make it better and let the others make mistakes.

Latest resources

Back