Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Love Field operating in the Red. Who's fault is that? Not SWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bvt1151 said:
Airports are nonprofit organizations. Any extra profit they make is redistributed to the signatory airlines, and conversly, any shortfall is picked up by the signatory airlines. I believe SWA is the only signatory airline in DAL.

Of course IND is the exception here.

I thought that a non-profit would reinvest any monies back into the airport if there was an overage. Right now they are putting lighted center line lights on taxi way Charlie.

J3CubCapt said:
Over 5 years Love Field lost 5 million dollars. Well I bet other city operations lost 1.1 million dollars a year too.

Actually, only New Orleans. Airports don't generally lose money unless someone isn't minding the store properly. Especially commercial airports.

J3CubCapt said:
Don't forget that SWA is the second largest employer in Dallas and the Taxes generated for the city are huge.

So pay up.

J3CubCapt said:
We must be informed and prepared for all points of attack!

J3

Generally a good idea....

Last edited:
sf260pilot said:
This is really not a Dallas v. SWA issue. This is more proof that the city of Dallas is grossly mismanaged.

Airports have a separate operating budget, and they should have one (DTW got in a pinch a few years back for revenue diversion) that balances revenues and expenses. They are supposed to be self supporting, and there really is no excuse for any income loss at all at DAL.

I smell revenue diversion.

Last edited:
Tejas-Jet said:
Uhhhh...lots of high powered (read= $$$) corporate jet operators (politically connected) who use DAL for their aircraft and live in nearby University/Highland Park. Think they would let option #1 happen?

The operating certificate is for Commercial Operations, not GA. GA would go on unaffected. Generally speaking though, people get fired and go to jail first.

Tejas-Jet said:
And, as the Supreme Court has ruled in the past..."As long as DAL remains open as an airport, Soouthwest Airlines may _____ __ _______." (you fill in the blanks)

Tejas

The Court ruling was regarding Intrastate travel which the Fed had no control over until Deregulation when they took control of Intrastate and Interstate regulatory issues. The Wright Amendment filled the gap making the Intrastate ruling moot.

Last edited:
J3CubCapt said:
Nov 22, 2005 8:46 am US/Central (CBS 11 News)

Many Want Closer Look at Love Field Finances

Changes at the airport don’t seem to be enough to raise the bond rating.
One area cited was landing fees, which are 35 cents per 1,000 pounds at Love Field. At D/FW International Airport, the fees are $8.30.

quote]

With tenants like SWA, who needs enemies?

This is not really a problem, SWA has plenty of money to make this right. I think they should be able to recoup all the monies rightfully owed the airport for all these years. SWA might have to call off some growth and sell some planes or something. If it were AA ripping off the public like this they would want to shut them down. SWA should be treated no better.

Flopgut If it were AA ripping off the public like this they would want to shut them down. [/quote said:
They are. Fares to DFW from outside the WA states are OUTRAGEOUS.

ivauir said:
They are. Fares to DFW from outside the WA states are OUTRAGEOUS.

You know, I think it would be hard to fly with you. You're so full of sh!t the flight deck probably smells worse than the lavatory! The airplane your flying probably has a brown contrail!

We don't even have to argue about this one, this is flat out embarrassing! How did you people think this was going to play out? I got news for you, look at the fares, there is no way you can make that claim you just did. I think the way to fix this properly is let you sling-blade hillbillies sponsor the $8+ dollar per thousand pound fees and let AA have the $.35 fees for the next 30 years! That ought to make it about right. What do you think your fares will look like then? How about your paycheck?

You SWA folks have some hell to pay on this one.

Flopgut said:
You SWA folks have some hell to pay on this one.

Thats funny.

Surely we will have to sell airplanes and call for massive paycuts because this will cost us billions of dollars. Not millions, yes billions. Flopgut called it. We are doomed because an airport that we fly into has questions about its financial management. Its been going on for over 30 years and no one has been the wiser. Oh, sh!t! This is huge!!!

I'm sure I'm going to sleep well tonight.

SWAdude said:
Thats funny.

Surely we will have to sell airplanes and call for massive paycuts because this will cost us billions of dollars. Not millions, yes billions. Flopgut called it. We are doomed because an airport that we fly into has questions about its financial management. Its been going on for over 30 years and no one has been the wiser. Oh, sh!t! This is huge!!!

I'm sure I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Parallels of very similiar circumstances can be drawn between this sort of revelation and the factors that were the demise of Braniff. Of course I don't want you to go out of business, I just want you to have to pay your fair share. And in this case, it probably is in the billions. With interest and punitive damages, you bet. It should be huge. Why does AA have to pay 20 times more for use of a Dallas airport than SWA?

Latest resources

Back