Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Love Field operating in the Red. Who's fault is that? Not SWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flopgut said:
This business should have never lost Braniff to your pseudo airline crap.

Alright! Another for the list! You are a HATER

You know Ivauir, you might be (a little) right. I don't hate you. I hope you have a good career. I just hate the SWA characterization of themselves on this issue. It is utter bullsh!t and it is offensive. On this issue, your airline is making WalMart look like the March of Dimes.

Flopgut said:
Slander and insult huh? You are getting off easy. How about the career Braniff pilots and their families that your airline roasted? How about all the people who have suffered under this bullsh!t arrangement of one airport with pennies in fees (yours), and AA which gets to sponsor fees that exceed anyone's impression of reasonable? this is not about "you and me", don't flatter yourself. This is about Southwest Airlines and the crap they have been feeding people for 30+ years. This business should have never lost Braniff to your pseudo airline crap.

You meet me in person and you'll know it. I don't sugarcoat my feelings on this issue. Most often when I talk about this with my contemporaies who are at SWA they just stare at the floor and hope I shut up. They know they have a bullsh!t position on the issue.

Which Braniff are you talking about. 1...2...or 3?

If SWA was responsible for Braniffs demise why did Braniff coin AA the "Sky Nazis" and not SWA?

Lets face it...AA did greater harm to Braniff than SWA could have ever been capable times 10.

I'm afraid your a bit delusional.

Ivauir: I have not even looked at the "SWA upgrade" thread. I post nothing there, I don't care. Go ahead and upgrade, good for you. I said nothing to you on the age 60-65 stuff. However, if you want to talk Dallas airports/Southwest Airlines, that is personal, and your position is indefensible. SWA screwed Braniff to the wall in a less than honorable manner. If we can finally flush out the truth and your airline suffers, so be it.

TAZ MAN said:
I'm afraid your a bit delusional.

I'm sorry, I don't really have time to bring you fully up to speed on this issue.

It was Braniff 1, pertaining specifically to when Braniff matched every SWA leg from Love with a cheaper fair and SWA had Braniff thrown off the airport with a trumped up court order. Oh yeah, that was the free market at work....not.

Flopgut said:
I'm sorry, I don't really have time to bring you fully up to speed on this issue.

It was Braniff 1, pertaining specifically to when Braniff matched every SWA leg from Love with a cheaper fair and SWA had Braniff thrown off the airport with a trumped up court order. Oh yeah, that was the free market at work....not.

Black helicopters flying overhead?

I think I would call that predatory pricing. Which I think is frowned upon by the government.

Why don't you expand on AA a bit also?

Price fixing ring a bell?

Please expand on the expression "Ski Nazi" and where it came from.

Last edited:
TAZ MAN said:
Black helicopters flying overhead?

I think I would call that predatory pricing. Which I think is frowned upon by the government.

Why don't you expand on AA a bit also?

Price fixing ring a bell?

This was pre-predatory pricing to be sure! That phrase had not even been coined. This was just old fashion corrupt municipal politics. Braniff wanted the business, they wanted Love Field. Herb ambushed them.

AA is what they are. The airline that has raised the mortgage at DFW for forever. Do you think that is where they want to be? He11 no, they would rather DFW had never been built and they could have operated at Love.

Flopgut said:
This was pre-predatory pricing to be sure! That phrase had not even been coined. This was just old fashion corrupt municipal politics. Braniff wanted the business, they wanted Love Field. Herb ambushed them.

AA is what they are. The airline that has raised the mortgage at DFW for forever. Do you think that is where they want to be? He11 no, they would rather DFW had never been built and they could have operated at Love.

Braniff was deeply in debt when Braniff tried to snuff out SWA. It backfired on them. 747's and concordes hurt more than little ol SWA flying in Texas. Braniff was this huge international carrier for its time and they made some huge commitments and then deregulation came along. And they got caught with an anti-trust lawsuit. They try to fly out of DFW and AA killed them. Then AA got caught with an anti-trust lawsuit but it was too late. That is where the term "Ski Nazi" came from. Some think it is a term given just to the pilots. But it was coined to AA altogether by the Braniff management.

Holding SWA responsible for Braniffs demise is a long, long stretch. They weren't exactly a healthy company for a very long time.

Last edited:
Braniff lowered its Dallas-Houston fare to just $13. In an action that became characteristic of the airline, Muse responded with newspaper advertisements claiming, "Nobody's going to shoot Southwest Airlines out of the sky for a lousy $13," offering customers their choice of either a $13 fare or a full-fare ticket plus a fifth of premium liquor. The bottles of liquor did not cost $13, but a businessman could put the $26 fare on his expense report and take the liquor home free. Once again, a Braniff tactic backfired. With 80 percent of its customer base choosing to pay full fare, Southwest won this 1972 fare war and became the largest distributor in Texas of Chivas, Crown Royal, and Smirnoff. Braniff and Texas International were later indicted and pled nolo contendere to antitrust charges in connection with their activities involving Southwest.

Flopgut said:
J3CubCapt said:
This is not really a problem, SWA has plenty of money to make this right. I think they should be able to recoup all the monies rightfully owed the airport for all these years. SWA might have to call off some growth and sell some planes or something. If it were AA ripping off the public like this they would want to shut them down. SWA should be treated no better.

SWA isn't the owner and operator of DAL, they don't have anything that can make poor management of an airport right. In fact, controlling airlines at a facility are generally more of a problem then an assistant in airport finance. I haven't seen an airline yet with the majority of the operations at a given facility not try to take advantage of an airport.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back