• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LOT Gear Up landing. WOW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you lose the center hyd system, then you are down to the alternate extension and It is an electrical command (the same up locks but with a different power source) to release the locks holding the main landing gear doors closed (the weight of the gear is resting on the doors as you place the lever back to neutral after gear retraction) and the nose gear up locks and they just fall into place, then heavy duty springs locks them into place.

I don't really hear too much about the 78 out on the line

Don't know about the Poles but my ass would never be crossing the Atlantic with the C HYD system out. The C HYD System on the 767 is the "heavy hitter" system (most hydraulic stuff is on it) and I WOULD declare an emergency. Period. It is nothing to mess around with - ESPECIALLY crossing an ocean.

Last edited:
The RAT, 3rd elec. source, is operated on the center system. If suppose if their MEL allowed them to operate with the APU on, and dispatch OK'd it, then maybe. Of course, if they're filed (re-filed) on a "Blue Spruce" route then it's a moot point.

I'm sure curious what really happened, and why the BU system failed.

From the LOT Ops Manual:

"Prior to receiving our first 767, Polish engineers asked Boeing to install a system that disables the central hydraulic systen at Pressure Altitudes greater that 50 Feet. Since the system is "Central" it must not be used in anything other than the most serious emergencies."

Latest resources

Back