Loss of Medical Insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rogerwilcoout

Any of you guys have the loss of medical plan with your company or union? What insurance company did you guys go with? Pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Look at when your union insurance kicks in vs your company's. That, along with the cost, should be important factors and they may or may not be the same time......

Either way, it's tax deductible...

I am just trying to compare notes here. Our union did some good work to try and get the loss of medical for our pilot group and I am comparing what others say about the insurance company they went with. I have some specific questions if anyone is interested and willing to give some relevant and beneficial info.

Look at when your union insurance kicks in vs your company's. That, along with the cost, should be important factors and they may or may not be the same time......

Either way, it's tax deductible...

-Some places still have no union... (Skywest)

-Good luck finding any meaningful disabilty policy on the open market. Thanks once again for raising the bar! (We tried to tell you.)

-Some places still have no union... (Skywest)

-Good luck finding any meaningful disabilty policy on the open market. Thanks once again for raising the bar! (We tried to tell you.)

The same company which sells alpa their loss-of-medical insurance will sell it to private individuals. Probably for cheaper than alpa rate + 2% of gross pay too.

The same company which sells alpa their loss-of-medical insurance will sell it to private individuals. Probably for cheaper than alpa rate + 2% of gross pay too.

I have checked around-no decent insurance company I have been able to find will sell you a true "own-occupation" disability policy (what I have found is that they will sell you a policy all day-right until you tell them you are employed as a pilot, then it is "no dice."). There are plenty of scam "total disbility" policies around, but you are better off not wasting money on them. We also tried to enlighten you guys on the legal protections ALPA offers, but not enough of you cared.

-Oh well.

Latest resources

Back