Loss of Medical Insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jtf

What kind of loss of medical insurance is offered at the various major airlines? Is it just whatever ALPA offers paid for by the individuals or do any of the airlines offer it as a free benefit? What is the duration of the coverage (a couple of years after medical loss or until age 60/65)? Does anyone know what insurance companies the airlines use for this insurance if they aren't using the ALPA coverage? I've checked out the Harvey Watt stuff that is offered for non-airline pilots and it is all based on the Social Security definition of disabled (total inability to work any job, versus just loss of pilot medical) and that isn't the kind of coverage I'm interested in. Does anybody know any other companies to check out other than Harvey Watt? I work for NetJets and I am trying to help the new union to find a product to offer us that goes beyond the 2 years of coverage we already have for a reasonable price that doesn't go strictly by the fully disabled definition that is the only supplemental thing I've seen so far. We tried this on the fractionals forum, but it hasn't gotten very far and I'm guessing I'll get some more useful info here.

I just up'd mine with ALPA because I was already in their program. It's not really great either, only pays for 4 years, after a year of waiting. So really, if you can get something else, it's might be worth a look. They use Guardian Insurance, I believe.
The Guardian Life​
Insurance Company of America, 7 Hanover Square, New York, NY 10004-2616

What kind of loss of medical insurance is offered at the various major airlines? Is it just whatever ALPA offers paid for by the individuals or do any of the airlines offer it as a free benefit? What is the duration of the coverage (a couple of years after medical loss or until age 60/65)? Does anyone know what insurance companies the airlines use for this insurance if they aren't using the ALPA coverage? I've checked out the Harvey Watt stuff that is offered for non-airline pilots and it is all based on the Social Security definition of disabled (total inability to work any job, versus just loss of pilot medical) and that isn't the kind of coverage I'm interested in. Does anybody know any other companies to check out other than Harvey Watt? I work for NetJets and I am trying to help the new union to find a product to offer us that goes beyond the 2 years of coverage we already have for a reasonable price that doesn't go strictly by the fully disabled definition that is the only supplemental thing I've seen so far. We tried this on the fractionals forum, but it hasn't gotten very far and I'm guessing I'll get some more useful info here.

At UPS - (all I recall is what covers me personally... capt on max rate) - If I can't do my current job (i.e., fly 121) then I receive $12k/mo tax free until age 65. The IPA negotiated this voluntary group policy with a private insurer. This type of insurance/benefit is common and should not be difficult to obtain. You obviously want coverage that pays if your disability prevents you from doing your current flying job and you want protection till normal retirement age.

BBB

Last edited:
At UPS - (all I recall is what covers me personally... capt on max rate) - If I can't do my current job (i.e., fly 121) then I receive $12k/mo tax free until age 65. The IPA negotiated this voluntary group policy with a private insurer. This type of insurance/benefit is common and should not be difficult to obtain. You obviously want coverage that pays if your disability prevents you from doing your current flying job and you want protection till normal retirement age.

BBB

I think you are talking about loss of liciense insurance and his question was medical.

Thanks for the info so far and please keep it coming. I am curious to see what the other companies have so that I do my best to help improve what I have. I definitely want better loss of medical/ license and not just disability. I've got 2 years at 60 percent or max of 5K per month currently. It's better than nothing, but I am willing to pay for more and hopefully the union can get a group policy together so the rates will be reasonable, but first we need to know what is out there. Maybe in future when we have a new contract to negotiate we can get the group together to demand better if we can show them what else is out there. I was hoping to hear that at least some places offer it lasting through retirement age- that is huge since I'd imagine all any of us want to do is be a pilot and most of us don't have much training in anything else. I do have a backup plan, but it doesn't pay as well and I'd like to have at least some outside money coming in to keep my standard of living at least close to what flying does.

ALPA also offers a lump sum insurance policy for loss of license/medical. I think the idea is to pay for training or education into a new career field should something happen. Addt'l fee, but still pretty cheap I think.

Thanks for the info so far and please keep it coming. I am curious to see what the other companies have so that I do my best to help improve what I have. I definitely want better loss of medical/ license and not just disability. I've got 2 years at 60 percent or max of 5K per month currently. It's better than nothing, but I am willing to pay for more and hopefully the union can get a group policy together so the rates will be reasonable, but first we need to know what is out there. Maybe in future when we have a new contract to negotiate we can get the group together to demand better if we can show them what else is out there. I was hoping to hear that at least some places offer it lasting through retirement age- that is huge since I'd imagine all any of us want to do is be a pilot and most of us don't have much training in anything else. I do have a backup plan, but it doesn't pay as well and I'd like to have at least some outside money coming in to keep my standard of living at least close to what flying does.

When you look at Loss of License coverage make sure you are getting own occupation versus any occupation. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Also, remember that you will never get more than 60% of gross income. That's the way that disability and loss of license plans are set up.

Latest resources

Back