Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looming pilot shortage at regional airlines...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CaptainMark said:
and BTW...Lear 70 was a 727 captain when he was 16...he is da man!!!!
LOL - don't I wish... never got enough of that machine,,,

NO ONE I KNOW has had as sweet a career as you, my friend! Now I'll ADMIT to being jealous of THAT! :D

belchfire define too much flying and too little pay? Does 200 hrs a year for 50K fit? Does 400 hrs a year for 100K fit? Does 1000 hrs for 100K fit? What are you talking about?

drewbeCHQ said:
Ok, considering i got dragged into this articale involuntarily. I believe I should of defended my position on this subject. Im happy at CHQ they have done nothing but been a great place to work and build expierence, to further my career. For all of you that are bitter for whatever reason leave it to yourself dont critizeme for being happy with my current position. And how did I give a neg rep to CHQ?
Excuse me buddy this is the United States of America we are talking about right? Not hard to say 'no comment' or 'not interested'. So spare me the line about involuntary dragged into the process. Although the command of english you demonstrated thus far makes me think the editorial process was definetly involved in your statement.

You gave your opinon, because you think your life couldn't be grander captaining a jet at 23 even at a pay scale less then what your old man made as an FO of a similiar sized aircraft. Not suprised at your mentality given the pilot mill you came from. I bet you go back there and give speeches to the recruits about how awesome it is being a jet captain. I have no doubt the ladies at the bar hear about it right away.

Hootie9750 said:
Im not very good at writing in a convincing or flowing manner, but aviation is going downhill for good. Here are some points.

-Pilots drive buses, thus you will never be paid for what your worth but what the market will dictate. If everyone wanted to be an accountant it would pay like sh1t too.

-Military pilots drive wages up at the top because do you think a Major or a Colonel is going to go work at Mesa for 18k a year? But on the other hand kids with dads credit card drive wages down on the bottom. I have talked to so many daddys boys who think 30 grand a year is a great supplement to their allowance.

-Too competitive. What if there were 30 different major oil companies fighting for your gas money?

-The illusion that being a pilot will get a dork laid.

-The explosion of Aviation Academies that outright lie over the past 15 years.

All this equals NO PILOT SHORTAGE!
:laugh: great post totally true.

drewbeCHQ said:
Well I guess I should respond to this thread since I participated in this artical.

1st of all RAA (Regional Airlina Academy) Is a great school. I enjoyed my time there and would reccomend it to anyone looking to start flying.

2nd of all I believe there will be some kind of pilot shortage in the near future. I believe its already started.

3rd of all Im on the EMB 145 not a CRJ as most of the people would know RAH does not have CRJ.

4th Im making just around 60k a year and that suites me fine. Would I want more hell ya. Do I need it to be comfortable no.

I do this because I love flying thats IT the fact they pay me a nice salary is a bonus.

Andrew
god, that entire post makes me want to karate chop someone in the eye. You have a 747 cockpit poster on your wall don't you.

Are you people kidding me. This Drew kid is 23 knocking back 60K. I think he is doing OK for himself. You people are delusional if you don't think that's good. Go to the mall and look at your average 23 year old, I think this dude has the world by the balls and I wish I would have been in his shoes at 23. Instead of 29 and still in the right seat for 27,000/Year.

Lear70 said:
Ummm... no offense, but... *cough* BULL******************** !!

If memory serves, anyone at ANY legacy carrier right now is making at least 6 figures by year 7 F/O, year 5 CA at SWA or airTran.

You might want to check again. ALL the legacies have 7 year FO's making less than $100 @ hour, at least two have hourly rates in the $70's. When you start looking at the fine print even the one's getting at least $100 per hour aren't necessarily grossing $100K because they have low min line values (some as low as 64 hours per month). My guess is less than half of 7 year legacy FO's make more than $100K gross.

Drew,

Don't worry about these guys. You've done well for yourself. You've done extremely well considering you are only 23.

Look, this guy didn't make the rules. He didn't print the cards. He just played the hand he was dealt and he did allright for himself. Good for him. He isn't the problem. The industry has changed and it's not the FNG's fault. The Golden Goose was slaughtered by horrible business practices and demands for salaries that were not sustainable. It's a new paradigm. Don't bust our balls because we came along after the fact. We didn't screw this up, it was screwed up when we got here. Let's see, who was here first? Oh, that's right! It's the same people bitching about how screwed up it is. Who's to blame? Look in the mirror.

Latest resources

Back