• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like Gulfstream got the WSJ's attention

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ever considered the possibility that he had a weak right-seater? Maybe he felt as if he was busy enough managing an airplane with less than ideal crew. Or perhaps coupled with that it was a typical Fla. day with build ups and about a million VFR trainers and doctors out trying to stay out of the clouds in some of the most congested airspace on Earth? And TCAS does display traffic that doesn't also have TCAS provided they have a transponder, so it is still effective in cases where intruding A/C don't have TCAS. Controllers are human and busy as hell down there, not to mention the guys flying around with no Xpdr at all.

And you'll do well to remember that any captain can refuse any airplane he feels like. To me safety sort of requires that I look at all the reasons I shouldn't go, and then measure them against the reasons that I can. Then I make a judgement call. It is that judgement that I get paid to exercise. that's reason enough. One of the fist guys I worked for ( a small cargo operator) told me on the phone once, "if you're not comfortable then it can wait...that's what tomorrow's for". Wherever you ended up, Matt, I'll never forget that.

Last edited:
First: I'm am all for Captains discretion. We're talking about on the ground acceptance of an aircraft. The pilot chose to not fly an airworthy airplane. TCAS inop does not ground a plane at his company, your company, or my company. GIA terminates instead of retrains. Guess that place sux. Who knew.

Second: It's not my system. It's the way the whole industry IS. If you guys need a little time catching up that's fine. But at the end of the day when you show up to work tomorrow or next year and the TCAS is broke you're gonna strap in and go fly. You're macho chest thumping isn't going to help you then.

You say you're all for captain's authority, but you're ok with retraining or firing captains who don't make the "right" decisions. Your logic needs work.

For you, on the ground acceptance of an aircraft is required if it's legal. You've never refused a legal aircraft for safety reasons? If you haven't, you either haven't been PIC for long, or "YOU'RE DANGEROUS!" (Add clicking sound of biting teeth).

I was referring to Florida, not a 3rd world country with atc rules and services that pale in comparison to ours. Midairs below 10 in florida are common, in the flight levels i can't think of any.

In the lower 48, atc is able to provide separation services for at least two reasons...

all the midairs you listed were not in the flight levels in US airspace...are there any?

Ummm. Yeah, I've never refused an airworthy airplane. I've been a PIC for over 6 years,
so I guess that makes me dangerous....no wait, "DANGEROUS!"

...or maybe you're an ipod wearin, backpack totein, frosted hair wonder pilot. One of us is right and it's not you.

all the midairs you listed were not in the flight levels in US airspace...are there any?

No, I guess you're right there. Not many US flight level midairs. Although the one in Germany a few years back was very TCAS related. Doesn't matter though as I'm not arguing that TCAS is bad. I love TCAS. Best device in the plane for safety. Doesn't change the fact that it's in the fricken MEL though does it?

Ummm. Yeah, I've never refused an airworthy airplane. I've been a PIC for over 6 years,

...or maybe you're an ipod wearin, backpack totein, frosted hair wonder pilot. One of us is right and it's not you.

I'm a good bit older than you might think. Anyway, let's try some examples. You're captain on a CRJ200. It's 85 degrees outside, dewpoint 80 (humid as he'll), there's a money line that looks to be in excess of two hours long, and the APU is deferred. Perfectly legal. It's in the MEL. Oh, and you've got 17 wheelchairs--something about a WWI reunion. And the chief pilot just called and said refusing the aircraft is not an option as the company completion factor is in the toilet. Do you go?

I'm a good bit older than you might think. Anyway, let's try some examples. You're captain on a CRJ200. It's 85 degrees outside, dewpoint 80 (humid as he'll), there's a money line that looks to be in excess of two hours long, and the APU is deferred. Perfectly legal. It's in the MEL. Oh, and you've got 17 wheelchairs--something about a WWI reunion. And the chief pilot just called and said refusing the aircraft is not an option as the company completion factor is in the toilet. Do you go?

Probably doesn't know what a money line is. Probably thinks WWI is something you play on X Box too.

Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash!

C'mon guys, you're all missing the opportunity for these great quotes. This is FlightInfo, isn't it?

No, I guess you're right there. Not many US flight level midairs. Although the one in Germany a few years back was very TCAS related. Doesn't matter though as I'm not arguing that TCAS is bad. I love TCAS. Best device in the plane for safety. Doesn't change the fact that it's in the fricken MEL though does it?
The PIC is responsible to insure that the flight can be safely carried out with the MELs that are in effect. The PIC made a personal determination that the flight could not be carried out to his level safety. For you or any pilot to armchair QB this guys decision is pure BS! Save it for Colgoon, or Whizknuckle and last not but least Messa! This guy made a decision and paid a heavy price for that decision. You are a managments wet dream!
PBR
P.S. You are the poster boy for a lot of things that are wrong in this industry.

PIC: The tray table is broke and that is BS. I don't work for a place that has that little concern for passenger comfort.

Chief Pilot: The tray table is deferred. That's it. Take the flight or we'll find someone who will.

PIC: Fine, I'm outta here. I can't believe this type of operation even exists.

YOU ALL: How do you not support the PIC dicission? Are you communist? You're DANGEROUS! Oh my gosh, you're what's wrong with this industry....

This is why I shouldn't troll around in the regional threads. You all (the ones posting against flying with a deferred TCAS) are inexperianced shinny jet blah blah blah. I don't care anymore. Take you're stupid RJ's and enjoy you're 100% TCAS rate.

Don't bother to respond as I'm out. Out out out. See ya. Remind me to never fly 121 again.

Latest resources

Back