• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like Allegiant is taking on AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very interesting. Many of those are secondary markets, at best, but it will make for a show. Airtran just announced DSM-MCO last week. Of all the markets to sprout dueling nonstops...

Actually, AirTran took on Allegiant by going into the secondary markets already served by AAY. Even emulated the same low frequency/twice a week type service that AAY does. AirTran's difference was going right into MCO.

Allegiant is simply defending their turf.

Any bets on how many days pass until AirTran announces service from MCO to South Bend, Fort Wayne, Green Bay, Toledo, Roanoke, Bangor, etc...

Actually, AirTran took on Allegiant by going into the secondary markets already served by AAY. Even emulated the same low frequency/twice a week type service that AAY does. AirTran's difference was going right into MCO.

Allegiant is simply defending their turf.

Pretty smart decision by Allegiant.

I know AAI's CASM is about 9.5 cents, anyone know what AAY's CASM is? My bet is it's higher, due to lack of frequency, despite the lower salaries.

That'd surprise me if it was higher than Airtrans. Those MD-80s are so worn that they get them at basement prices, couple that with labor costs and secondary airport usage (Bangor, Allentown, & the likes).

Does anybody know?

I know AAI's CASM is about 9.5 cents, anyone know what AAY's CASM is? My bet is it's higher, due to lack of frequency, despite the lower salaries.

4th Quarter 2008 CASM -Allegiant = 9.1 and AirTran = 10
1st Quarter 2009 CASM - Allegiant = 7.4 and AirTran = 9.2
2nd Quarter 2009 CASM -Allegiant 7.6 and AirTran = 9

Latest resources

Back