• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOOZENEWS

I LOVE being on top!!
I have around 200 hrs total and am wanting to take a faster track to the airlines. I just found what seems like a REALLY good way to make that happen. Gulfstream Academy will give me 250 hrs as a B-1900 FO and give me hiring priority after that! This sounds excellent and a good way to get the airlines to notice you over other pilots! Would you recommend this? It sounds good to me. Let me know.

http://www.gulfstreamacademy.com/index.php

For $29,000+ I think you could find better use of your hard earned $$$

Don’t get all caught up in the Fast Track B.S. All you will end up with is a load of debt and a low paying job at an unstable regional if you’re lucky. If you were to come to me with 400 to 500 Hr. and some Beech 1900 training, I wouldn’t even look at you. That tells me that you will not stick around long, I’ve seen too much of that. At 200 hr. you have only started your training, its going to take time and experience to make you a completive pilot in an already saturated market

BOOZENEWS said:
I have around 200 hrs total and am wanting to take a faster track to the airlines. I just found what seems like a REALLY good way to make that happen. Gulfstream Academy will give me 250 hrs as a B-1900 FO and give me hiring priority after that! This sounds excellent and a good way to get the airlines to notice you over other pilots! Would you recommend this? It sounds good to me. Let me know.

Nope, not a good deal. Hiring priority at what wage?(that's a rhetorical question, it's low) I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and flew out of Exec right next to where the "Academy" is. They show up all enthusiastic and leave depressed. Notice they say "Priority". Yeah, for when? Nice flights though, mostly Bahamas stuff. Anyone who will take you and sell you a "Fasttrack" when you have 200 hrs is just taking your money.

BOOZENEWS said:

BS29007.jpg

Obviously you are new to the industry so I will also enlighten you on the negative aspects of Pay For Job (PFJ) also referred to as Pay For Training (PFT). Basically by paying Gulfstream and like to sit in the right seat of an airline operation you are taking a job from someone who is more qualified plain and simple. ALL first officers at an airline should be PAID to do their job. Imagine if a doctor paid a hospital to do a residency? Imagine what that does to compensation level and job security! Don't forget this is a career and you should want to promote your future not contribute to destroying it! Regardless of whether or not you hinder your career you will get a VERY negative repsonse from many of your coworkers when you move on to bigger and better things. I don't know about you but I like to get along with my coworkers especially in this job where you spend LOTS of time with the same people in close proximity. Don't make a bad decision because you are in a hurry. Crappy regional jobs will always be there when you have the time just waiting to furlough you! There are other ways to get to where you want to go especially if you are young. I know no one wants to hear it but go somewhere instruct, pull banners down the beach, build time then go fly some night freight. Anyone of these lines of work will make you a better pilot and a much more respected coworker when you get to the airlines. Plus it's fun! Good luck.

Last edited:
How about getting your CFI/CFII, find a good school to instruct where you can fly 6-8 hours a day. Build up to 1200 hours while working to meet Part 135 minimums. Two years from now, you can get on with a cargo company and build some "quality" time to go along with your "dual given" time. You will not be making a lot of money going this route, but it will probably be MORE than what you would make doing the Academy thing--once you consider how much in debt you will be. I can't see spending the money for the training when you have literally no chance of repaying that to yourself over the next few years. By going the route I've explained, atleast you are getting paid while gaining your experience.

BOOZENEWS said:
...Gulfstream Academy will give me 250 hrs as a B-1900 FO and give me hiring priority after that!
Give you? Yeah, right...

But seriously guys, don't feed the troll. Flamebait at its finest... or worst.

I was feeling exactly the same way a while back. I came very close to going there. It does seem like such a good deal until you know the big picture. I defended myself almost to the death (people can be real jerks on this forum) about going to gulfstream because of the stress of needing that airline job and stability to satisfy the wife and have kids. Just remember the best deal is for the school/airline to have people willing to buy a job from them. The operators are cutting corners which really is not fair but typical in our supply/demand capitalist society. There are plenty of success stories I'm sure but if you really desire to be a top notch professional and care about integrity in the workplace then be very careful about PFT/PFJ. When I changed my mind I realized it's a gamble that I'm not willing to take. There are better, cheaper, but slower routes to get there and that's a good thing. Flight instructing worried me at first but after I got a few good students I realized how it's something I'm really good at and should be good at when I get my first 1st officer position and then again the skills are used as a captain. If you really want to go fast and don't want to instruct take $3400 (not $30,000) to places like myrtle beach S.C. and fly really souped up taildraggers to tow banners. You would practically have part 135 min. in less than a year and then be able to join in on the game that everyone is pretty much expected to play. Try to find the thread called something like "I'm going to build multi time by PFT" and you'll see what type of people "can, not all" be associalted with PFT. Can someone help dig that thread up for him. I think it got posted in the majors or somewhere like that.

While I was at a 135 job in FLL, boss went out of town and I was there for a month running it. Had 3 Gulfstream pilots (if you want to call them that) come in and ask for a job. I looked at them, nicely, and said sorry, insurance will not even look at you with 400tt and 250 sic turbine. 1 of my pilot buddies at this 135 gig had a g/f at the time who flew for gulfstream. after acquiring 250 hours, she was furloghed/fired whatever.... people dont understand its PIC time that gets your hired.... take your money and getr your ratings. if u have some cash to spend...find someone who wants to split multi time with u. find a cheap C-150 to rent....anything but Gulfstream man

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back