Looking into Charter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingFisherman

Hello. At the moment I'm an instructor/contract pilot living in Ohio looking into getting into charter. I've got a few years of line service experience fueling a pretty wide range of business jets and for some odd reason have a strange infatuation with Citation 500 series jets. Where I worked we had a few of them based including 2 V Ultras and a Citation II. I've had the chance to ride along on a few maint. flights in the cabin and was curious if anyone here could provide a lead for a Citation operator that might entertain hiring a F/O for a CE-500 series aircraft.

I've got 1100 hours, 250 multiengine and 100+ actual (wet) instrument. Fastest airplanes I've got experience in are BE-58 Barons and Mooney M20J's with maybe 30/100 respectfully. Most of the multi is in the PA-23 Aztec. Relocation wouldn't be a problem for the right job.

If anyone has feedback on how to more tailor my qualifications or experience for a position like that I'm all ears, private messages are fine or if it would help out someone else in my shoes then by all means post away!

Thanks for the help in advance flight info!
-FF

-The Citations based on the field are privately owned and operated with zero turnover in pilots

Last edited:
Fish,
What I've said to some other young people is this:
take whichever job comes along first, weather it's a 135 job or with a regional. They both have their good and bad sides. But, would you really say "no" to a regional because you're waiting for a 135 job?
Also, you can always (and I suggest this) continue to circulate your resume while working at a certain job.
Your qual's look repectable; it's all in the timing. Good luck!

Hey fish,

Look around the SE. Gobs of slowtations around here, plus bunches of bottomfeeder charter companies with lots of turnover.

They are only good for getting some time with, but once you get a few hundred in the airplane you can deep six the crap job and hook up with a good corporate operator.

As the saying goes, 1000 hours in a C-500 series or a 747 and you will never go hungry again. You may not break the bank, and you will have to be willing to move, but you can always find a job!

Hey, you guys make it sound like ALL 135 operators are scum and ALL corporate operators are god's gift to pilots.

There are some very reputable, fine charter operators, and some low-life corporate operators. Every facet of aviation has its good and bad. You'll probably just have to pay some dues at a couple of not-so-hot operators before you get your chance at a good one (charter or corporate).

Last edited:
Fish,

Great to have you on the boards.....I was in your shoes many years ago, and being that I'm typed in the CE-550 and currently fly for a regional, I can give you some perspective. I assume you're relatively young. If that's the case, go for the charter type job on a citation. The CE-500 series is so easy to learn and fly, it makes a C-172 look hard. You'll make decent coin for a twenty-something, and have great overnights in exotic locations.

If, on the other hand, I'm wrong and you're in your late 20's-early 30's, I'd recommend the regional airlines for one simple reason: schedule. When I was flying charter there was no schedule - I was at the mercy of the dispatchers and sales staff who sell the airplane. I left that lifestyle and took a $50,000/yr pay cut to come to a really good regional and fly the taco rocket to have guaranteed days off.

Right now, I'm a very senior FO and can bid whatever I want for days off, and it's great. I'm lucky because I have a second job that I like that pays me well, and my wife makes a decent income, so we're ok.

Bottom line: if you're young and inexperienced, go for the charter gig, if you're older and time off matters, go for the regionals. nuff said.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Time2Spare said:
I'm lucky because I have a second job that I like that pays me well.

You know I have to ask this.....Why, if you are a professional pilot, do you have a second job?

rchcfi said:
You know I have to ask this.....Why, if you are a professional pilot, do you have a second job?

Honestly, it's because of two reasons....

Reason 1 - I must have adult ADD because I need constant brain stimulation and frankly, flying no longer gives it to me.

Reason 2 - I really enjoy the work - it's not hard, I can work from home, and it pays well.

A lot of guys get into this job to have time off for hobbies - it just so happens that my second job is like a hobby, but instead of costing me money, it makes money.

Time.

Time2Spare said:
A lot of guys get into this job to have time off for hobbies - it just so happens that my second job is like a hobby, but instead of costing me money, it makes money.

Time.
You're right. Becoming a home-based exotic dancer was one of the best decisions I've made.:)

FlyingFish- With your flight experience you should be able to find a right-seat Citation job. Having a good attitude is probably the most important attribute for finding a good gig. It sounds like you've got that covered. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back