• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for some advice!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My ultimate goal is to be an airline pilot, and I really don't mind serving my country in the process. Serving my country being a pilot is something I would surely consider doing, as I have contemplated going into the military before I knew I wanted to be a pilot.

The main reasons I would like to be in the military are:
- A job after I graduate high school, hopefully flying. If I weren't able to fly in the military I wouldn't really want to join it in the first place which is why I want to take a medical or something to know that I will have the option to fly.

- Probably make more money in the military than if I were to be an instructor
- Military Pilots supposedly get highered more often than non-military related pilots, but I am sure it goes both ways, but it certainly can't hurt.
- Will end up with more flight hours with multi-engine

Im sure there are advantages to going both ways, I just want to increase my chances by the most to get highered by an airline pilot down the road. Do you think this is the wise choice by going into the military? I don't really want to be an instructory when I graduate, it just never really appealed to me, on the other hand I do want to fly.

Also, do we have to take the ASVAB to be a pilot; or do we take the AFOQT?

Thank you for the replies and links. I will look through your journal and do some more research.

Last edited:
You are getting a little ahead of yourself.

A: To fly (control the airplane/helo) in the USAF/USMC/USN you must have a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university. All Officers must be college graduates. Only in the Army can you fly without the degree as a Warrant Officer, and I don't know anything about that.

2: If you are going to college and want to fly for the Air Force/Navy (I guess the USMC would be included?), I would recommend checking out ROTC.

Just my $0.02....

The military process will take you a year or more to complete, because once you've finished all of those tests that everyone above has mentioned, your packet will need to meet the board which only happens a couple of times a year. I think you are in a little bigger hurry than you are capable of dealing with. I was in your shoes back in 2002 when i graduated from riddle. I flight instructed for almost three years, decided i wanted to pursue a career in the military, and landed a pilot slot. In the mean time, i've been flying 135 cargo and learning all that i can about my trade. The bottom line is that you're going to have to start flight instructing or something along those lines, and building your flight time. You probably won't end up in the right seat of a CRJ right out of school...at least you shouldn't. Go out and flight instruct, fly cargo, and learn how to be an aviator. If you want to fly in the military, make sure you want to serve you country first.

From what I have read it does take a long time to go through the military process, that is why Im wondering what is a good time to start going to recruiter's or wherever to get the process rolling. Like I said earlier Im only a Freshmen in college so I don't think its of big importance at the moment.

Also, I heard you could go to the military right out of college and start the training process. I know it takes a while to finally be accepted to Flight Training, if accepted, but what would you do in the meantime while you wait for flight school?

If anyone would mind explaining the process, that would be awesome.

Thanks again

Xavier said:
From what I have read it does take a long time to go through the military process, that is why Im wondering what is a good time to start going to recruiter's or wherever to get the process rolling. Like I said earlier Im only a Freshmen in college so I don't think its of big importance at the moment.

Also, I heard you could go to the military right out of college and start the training process. I know it takes a while to finally be accepted to Flight Training, if accepted, but what would you do in the meantime while you wait for flight school?

If anyone would mind explaining the process, that would be awesome.

Thanks again

It depends on what you want to do. Most flight slots in the military require a four year degree, and so to even start the process, i believe you need to be done with school and have the certificate. Anyway, as far as AFReserves goes, you have to take the AFOQT, BAT, and have a class 1 flight physical done. You take all of these things to the unit you are applying to and then there is an interview with some of the pilots from the squadron. If selected, your package is put together and sent to the board, which meets a couple of times a year to decide who actually gets a slot in UPT. The good thing here is that if sponsored by a unit, your chances of getting a slot increase a pretty good amount. After your package gets cleared by the board, you get your dates for OTS and UPT. That's about the extent of it. I did go through a recruiter right there at the base where my unit was. So he did a lot of the foot work for me. It is a long process...probably the better part of a year to get the whole thing wrapped up. You have to stay on top of it, because it's crucial to make the dead line of when the board meets, otherwise you have to wait for the next board to come around, and in my case, (AF reserves), it only meets twice a year.
Since you are only a freshman, just enjoy school. I was in your shoes, and was rushing to get done. Take your time, unless you're in your upper 20's then you might need to hurry.
Good Luck

Keep in mind that some units will let you interview for a pilot slot without a degree. True you will probably not get selected (we had one guy get selected 1 semester away from graduating). I interviewed once with my unit before I had my degree. It was a great experience. I was better prepared for the board when I was truly eligible and not only that the selection board has seen my face and new I was persistent and really wanted it. It will impress them tremendously and put you a notch higher compared to guys they are seeing for the first time. I sat on an interview board and we actually selected a guy who showed the desire, even though there were first timers that were a little more qualified. Good luck.

40's

This thread looks like a big Riddle reunion. I graduated in May '04, got picked up for AD in Oct'04, and still haven't received my class date. To any who are trying to get into OTS for the AF, good luck. word on the street is that its gonna be slim pickens for the rest of the year.

X,

Don't have time to read the whole thing. If this is a repeat my apologies. If you go Navy make sure you talk to the officer recruiter, the enlisted recruiters will try to make you go enlisted. Just don't want you to get caught up. Don't know how the AF is.

Either way if you decide military you will have best times of your life. Just keep the head on straight, and a can do attitude.

Another thing to consider if you choose to go the Active military route with future airline considerations.

Active Duty Commitment when I was in:

AF 10 years after the award of wings.
Navy 10 years after the award of wings
USMC 4.5 years after the award of wing
(OCS 10 Weeks,TBS 6 months, AI 4-6 weeks) all this before you even step on a Navy/USMC flightline

ARMY ?????????????

Just something to think about

Here's my two cents...

If you want to get to the airlines as quickly as possible, then go commercial and get to the regional airlines ASAP.

If you want to serve your country with the eventual goal of getting into the majors, then join whatever military branch looks best for you.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back