• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for some advice!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would really like to go commercial, but how many hours does it usually take to get a job as a Commercial Pilot, for say a private company or something like that? I would really enjoy that s well, but just figured it would take a while to be able to do this as well. Mind you all Im not just looking to step into a position like this, just figured it would take several years to be able to even land a Commercial job.

The Montgomery G.I. Bill was mentioned. To be more specific, Chpt. 106 of the Montgomery G.I. Bill is what authorizes and describes the benefits available for flight training.

I used it to get my CFII and MEI while in the Guard. Some former coworkers were intrigued by it and one went to a recruiter to get more information. She was told "nice idea, but it doesn't exist." Be careful dealing with the enlisted recruiters.

If you'd like to fly helos in the ARNG/USAR, you can do so as a warrant officer and a degree is not required. In addition, aviation WOs fly more than the officers do. Flying is their primary duty.

I do not know what the mandatory service obligation is in the Army once a WO is rated.

Good luck...fly safe!

Last edited:
My .02 pesos

From my own experience applying to the military side of aviation, if your goal is to get to the airline track, I wouldn't advice going the military route. Commitment for the AF is 10 years and that number doesn't include UPT so you're looking at 12 years. So if you're not sure you want/can to put up with the BS inherent to the active duty I wouldn't do it.

Guard is really the pot of gold in many respects, particularly if you want a specific airframe. Another reason is that you will be inducted in a fraternity of aviation of sorts, and the opportunities to become aware of good flying opportunities AND obtaining those positions are at your disposal. However getting sponsored is extremely competitive and the criteria has more to do with social contentions than AFOQT, BAT PCSM yada yada (of course those who have been selected will make it a point to take exemption to that assertion; they all got in cause they worked harder haha; predictable.. *duckin' the swings*)

Enlisting seems to be the way to go with Guard units, putting in your time with the unit and apply apply apply. Some units guarantee interviews to enlisted members of the unit, and will put off-the-street'ers on the bottom list (which I don't have a problem with btw, it was my choice not to enlist just for the sake of UPT sponsorship). Be warned however, that serving your enlistment terms does not guarantee that you will get picked up, so think long and hard if you're not 100% about watching the plane take-off and land for 4 years from the bleachers. If that is the case, going active duty will provide you with as stable a flying job as you will ever get (provided you are OK with the 12 year full time thing) and you will actually be doing the flying. And I will be honest about it, I'm not pursuing the easiest way to get sponsored either, sending apps over and over and over a la' Shawshank Redemption. If you do decide to go my route, make sure and get your civ ratings in order, it is important to let them know you're not in it to get the training and jump ship to the airlines as others have posted also. I have gotten that question in one of my interviews so there;s some food for thought there (it was a cake question to hit out the park for me, since I dont want to do airlines :D but you catch my drift)

Getting your CFI is a realistic way to go, albeit you already know the story salary-wise etc etc.

So in the end it's comes down to lifestyle choices, some people make excellent careers out of the military, after all it's top-notch flying with top-notch people, but as with everything, there are elements to consider. Good luck to all.

P.S.Oh and take the "make sure you want to serve the country first" argument with a grain of salt, if they were REALLY genuine about that, they would have gone infantry out of high school...how convenient for us flyboys to suggest "oh well, I think I would BEST serve my country by flying" I thought the AF was supposed to make that determination for you, since all we really care about is 'serving'. Come on people!, I'll concede to the keeping of those sentiments to yourself, but speaking the truth in a freggin newsgroup ain''t gonna land ya in hot water with your buddies. JHC :D (part of the bullsh3t we mentioned before, there..)

Latest resources

Back