• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for Opinions/Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't walk away. Do something to piss them off (nothing major but maybe misread the schedule or forget to set your alarm clock a few times), get fired and collect unemployment while you are in G-IV training. It's a win-win situation.

I am going to side with those who say that your family is more important than your current job, especially with the type-rating offer hanging in front of you. I have been laid off since the beginning of May and still have had no luck, but then, I fly a little Citation as well ;-) I just paid for my own recurrent so I can stay employable but I don't even know if I will get to use it before next year's recurrent. So I know how you're feeling.

The type is worth a lot and opens you up to a whole new market of aircraft to fly. So far, it has also been my experience that people who are going to employ as soon as the market (hopefully) picks up, are understanding about the breaks between flying and not flying because they know first-hand that the market sucks and jobs are hard to come by. I have MANY chief pilot's as friends who tell me that they would not consider that a detriment, especially when you are able to show that you have been trying hard to find something. You have skills, you have had a job, you have PIC time, you will have at least two types. You are a proven pilot.

Come home. Enjoy the family. Pick up SOMETHING to pay the bills. Network like HELL. You will definitely find something, even if it is some contract work along the way, better things will come. Good luck my friend.

Don't walk away. Do something to piss them off (nothing major but maybe misread the schedule or forget to set your alarm clock a few times), get fired and collect unemployment while you are in G-IV training. It's a win-win situation.

I do agree with this too :-D

Maybe demand that they start following the 135 regs....then you can also sue them AND collect unemployment! :laugh:

I have a tendency to chase QOL maybe a little too hard, but it has worked out for me so far. If your obligations are met toward your current employer I would consider walking. It has been mentioned that class is a great place to network and I would agree. I'm not the world's best networker, but it makes sense. Atlanta does seem like a tough market. As big as the city is it seems like there just isn't the volume of corporate aviation there as in similar size cities. However, I have a buddy where I live who took a leave from his heavy cargo outfit to pursue life for a while and has been eaten up with contract work in everything from lears and westwinds, to king airs. Your mileage may vary, but it can be done.

The hardest career decision I ever made was leaving a known quantity flying job where I was unhappy for a new job that I didn't know anything about but that I thought might really work out for me. It turns out that I was right. Change is a frightening thing and leaving a job in this market is also scary. I don't know what I would do if I had to find a job right now, but I'm also not sure I could stand being in your situation; away from everything for a bad job. Also, I will respectfully submit that while it is easier to get a job if you have a job, people are reasonable as long as you're not a year out of currency.

Bottom line for me: Don't let fear keep you in a crap situation. I was talking with my dad recently who said that he had a medical examiner tell him years and years ago: "You guys all come in here stressed out. If the job's not working for you then you need to f**king quit." Point being that stress about this stuff will send you to an early grave. Think it over, but not too much. I've learned that I can make just about any decision in about 30 minutes of real consideration just as well as in 30 days of agonizing.

Good luck, man.
Right on. Too many pilots take QOL out of the equation. You need to make a decent salary, but only an idiot gets into this business (or stays in this business) for the money. Any decent insurance salesman makes a couple hundred thousand a year, and he's home every night and on weekends.
There's a balance, but as my 1st flight instructor said, "a flying career is like sex: Sometimes it's hard work, but if you're not enjoying it, you're not doing it right."

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the different perspectives and ideas/opinions regarding my current situation. As professional pilots we often overlook the fact that our best resource may be the guy sitting across from you in the pilots lounge- it's as a collective group that we make this profession tolerable. Some of your ideas are very good- keep them coming- I will let you all know what I decide to do.

I could not disagree with this more. Any termination on your record is detrimental. With the surplus of pilots on the street at the moment, it just gives you something else to have to explain. Even more so in the 135 business with background checks. Also, Unemployment does not always pay on a termination. In Georgia, if the terminating company fights it, you may not get it.

Something else to think about is currency. I have 2 friends on the street right now that have quickly lost currency. People will not even talk to them now.

Since NBAA is in your home town next week, I think I might drop the change to go if there is anyway you can get home.

As far as the SIC policies, they are just plain stupid. How do they ever expect these people to learn how to be PIC's. We always swapped legs unless I thought weather was a factor.

None taken gb, it is a crazy bunch on here at times.

At least it has a semblance of professionalism on the corporate forum, have you ever looked at the regional board? holy cow.

I could not disagree with this more. Any termination on your record is detrimental. With the surplus of pilots on the street at the moment, it just gives you something else to have to explain. .

400a is right on...dont think for a second that people dont call around all the time and ask about pilots. It ranges from guys you know very well who will outright tell you "Joe is a loser, run away dont walk" (lol) to guys you just know professionally who will say "who? Ohhh ya...Joe worked here from xxx until xxx, how's everything else going?"...lol...you get the picture. Of course common sense applies, if you call the low end on-demand ratty charter outfit your buddy happens to run, I dont expect all pilot departures to be hugs and kisses....but I dont expect to hear that a guy purposely missed trips in an effort to screw the operation up.

I have seen "Im gonna stick it to em'" guys lose 2-3 good opportunities just recently and they will never know why. They will say "They didn't want to pay to move me"...or..."They really wanted a rated guy"...whatever.

Its just not worth it. If you find yourself in a crappy position and just cant take it anymore just give proper notice and resign. This isn't difficult. Missing trips on purpose? c'mon, who is really going to lose here?

And of course above all, be very, very wary about taking career advice from me or from ANY pilot message board, especially from unemployed pilots or guys named ILOVEBEER......;):laugh:

Last edited:
LXApilot;2058999 Also; at our company the policy is to not let the F/O fly the aircraft except on empty leg reposition flights. I believe this is extremely detrimental to the F/O's flying proficiency and development of skill and judgment on this aircraft. Furthermore said:
I sure most of us have heard a current or former employer say that they don't hire FO's, just Captains in training. Maybe your company does hire FO's just as FO's. Please don't think that I agree with this, but this could be their unrealistic mindset. It'll change once FO's start failing their recurrent checkrides because of lack of recent experience.

Latest resources

Back